Thursday, May 29, 2014

Series Review: Arcadia Bell by Jenn Bennett

NOTE: This is not a review for Banishing the Dark but rather a spoiler-free series review for the Arcadia Bell Series. 

Title: Banishing the Dark (Arcadia Bell, #4) 

Author: Jenn Bennett

Rating: 4 Stars

I inhaled the entire Arcadia Bell Quartet back in early December, my thoughts an incoherent jumble of too-loud exclamations and too-few actual words. Even now, months later, my thoughts resemble the flailing limbs of a fangirl whenever they stray back towards Jenn Bennett's perfect, oh-so-perfect, Urban Fantasy debut.

From the surface, Arcadia Bell seems to be deceptively similar to mercenary Kate Daniels: a magician, parents with ever-so-slightly-evil origins, and a penchant for attracting danger. From the onset itself, however, Bennett's novels have contained tighter plot threads and, what's more, a heroine far removed from the loner we know both Kate Daniels and Mercy Thompson to have originally been. When we first meet Cady in Kindling the Moon, she is forced to re-visit the fact that her parents, both powerful magicians in their own right, were framed for murders they did not commit. For the past seven years, Cady has been able to slip under the radar, conducting an incognito livelihood as a bartender--but now, she unexpectedly is forced to prove her parent's innocence.

Every UF Series has specific qualities about it that keep me coming back for more: with Mercy Thompson it's her relationship with Adam and the pack; with Kate Daniels it's the way more and more people creep into her heart; with Downside Ghosts it's Chess's insecurities which slowly begin to shed off as she begins to believe in her own self-worth. With Arcadia Bell, it's Cady's vibrant spirit. Unlike most UF heroines, Cady arrives at the airport surprisingly baggage-free. Granted, she begins to accumulate plenty of baggage as the series progresses, revealing twists about her past she could have never predicted, but Cady never loses either her kick-ass demeanor or her vivacious energy despite the hurdles life throws at her.

What's more, this series is graced with Lon Butler. *cue swoons* It seems the only man more attractive than a lean, fit, intelligent male with a pirate-mustache is a lean, fit, intelligent single-father with a pirate-mustache. While Lon and Cady have their difference--most noticeably their age gap--I simply thrive off of the stability their relationship provides. Even when faced with the disastrous ex-wife, as we are in Binding the Shadows, Lon and Cady's relationship never wavers. Moreover, both of them bring unique talents to the table, both being extraordinarily blessed magically, so the blend of their powers is always a sight to behold as they work together to defeat demons.

Jupe, Lon's teenage son, while ordinarily a character I'd steer clear of, is the backbone of both this family and this series. Bennett never writes Jupe as annoyingly immature, instead giving to us an energetic, curious, and deeply loving young boy. Jupe and Cady's relationship, in particular, is wonderfully developed as the series progresses. Cady is not merely "the younger woman" in Lon's life, but she is truly part of his family and the bond built between herself and Jupe, separate from the bond Jupe could share with a biological parent, is truly special.

The Arcadia Bell novels have each been one better than the next. Kindling the Moon started off strong and Banishing the Dark truly only ended stronger. Each one of these four novels ties back together, tracing the same larger mystery in a few smaller ones, but building deep character ties along the way. From our titular lead to the secondary characters we cannot seem to forget, this series has etched its way onto my heart. With my paperback copies safely tucked into my bookshelf, there is no doubt I will be re-visiting Cady, Jupe, and Lon many more times to come. Banishing the Dark released on Tuesday and, believe me, if you don't at least have a copy of Kindling the Moon on your nightstand, you're only doing yourself a disservice.
Chronological Order (Prior to Banishing the Dark)

13 comments:

  1. I haven't read this series yet, but I can see I need to remedy that! I love when a series just keeps getting better and better. I can't wait to meet Cady, she sounds like a wonderful UF heroine, and Lon, who sounds absolutely swoonworthy. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I... Actually wasn't aware of this series before now. And I'm sure I was thinking of those Chess books instead and... These sound WONDERFUL, Keertana! Not something I would have considered before now, but you make them sound wonderful--the relationships so rich! Wonderful (as always) review xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You put it so well, Keertana. I don't know how you do it. You've basically summed up everything I've ever felt about this series in one review! I absolutely adore this series and I love Cady, Lon and Jupe and am going to miss them a lot. The Arcadia Bell series will always hold a special place in my heart and I am really going to miss these brilliant character.

    *sigh*

    Lovely review, Keertana!

    Rashika @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I would really like Cady, I need to meet her and finally get this series started. I need another good UF series!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I loved this one! finished it a few days ago and I'm writing my review right now. I was anxious but it was a beautiful end. I'm glad you had the same feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are the second reviewer I have read that says this series is not to be missed. You really make me feel lame for never even having heard of this series until a few days ago,lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, I will add this to my list of UF books that I MUST read this year!

    Mands @ The Bookish Manicurist

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to dive into this series, Keertana! Jenn's writing is amazing and I know if you loved this series I will, too. Plus, I can read the books one right after the other! My favorite way of reading a series! Brilliant series review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with every word of this post. Le swoon for Lon for exactly those reasons... and JUPE! Name one person who wouldn't fall for Jupe. He IS the backbone of that family unit. I only hate that the series isn't longer, but she did end it strong.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have heard so much love for this series, so I am not surprised to see that you adored this as well!

    Lovely review, Keertana <33

    ReplyDelete
  12. honestly as someone who absolutely adores UF I am surprised I have not read this yet, shamefully. I think I would love her, she does sound very different, kind of refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. With a recommendation from both you and Danielle, I need to binge this series. I love a couple who can have a solid relationship through several books. That is an accomplishment few are able to archive. So happy you loved this conclusion.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers and I read, reply, and appreciate every one of the comments I receive!(: If you're a fellow blogger, please leave a link to your blog - I'd love to drop by!

Unfortunately, this is now an award-free blog. I simply do not have the time to respond and forward on the award, but I truly appreciate the nomination regardless.