Friday, May 9, 2014

Romance Mini-Reviews: Jill Shalvis, Sherry Thomas, and Molly O'Keefe


Title: It Had to Be You (Lucky Harbor, #7)

Author: Jill Shalvis

Rating: 4 Stars

With a decent sprinkling of snow on the ground and the covers of my comforter up to my chin, a warm, breezy romance fit my mood precisely. I've been on a bit of a romance kick lately - one I almost feel guilty about as it means I'm disregarding my ever-growing pile of ARCs - but flying through love story after love story on a chilly weekend just feels so right. I picked up Simply Irresistible a few months back and, ever since, have been meaning to return to Lucky Harbor. Both the sequels following Simply Irresistible, however, had such summer-friendly covers that I wasn't quite in the mood  for this winter season but I couldn't resist the allure of a cop and the beginning of a new mini-trilogy within this expansive series that It Had to Be You had going for it. And, let me tell you, Luke gives Jax Cullen a really good run for his money! ;) Needless to say, Shalvis is a must-read for readers on the lookout for a lovely romance, quiet depth, and a slow simmer.

Title: Lucky in Love (Lucky Harbor, #4)

Author: Jill Shalvis

Rating: 4 Stars

Dear Publishers,

I regret to inform you that you have chosen the incorrect candidate to bestow your ARCs upon. In fact, this individual in question needs to be placed under surveillance for she hasn't reviewed a novel in a very long time and neither is she actively reading the ARCs you have been diligently sending to her doorstep. No, she is instead caught in Lucky Harbor (or Victorian England if you want to discuss the historical romance novels she's been flying through!) and, therefore, is unable to attend to upcoming novels. A pinch of pixie dust to snap her back into reality may be necessary.

Sincerely,
A Concerned Reader

---------------------------------------------------------

Since I seem to be mastering the art of "Ignore the ARC", I figured another trip to Lucky Harbor couldn't hurt. And, trust me, Lucky in Love hurt in only the right places. If you're a fan of the strong and silent type of hero alongside a heroine who's hiding an inner bad girl, this is your best bet. Quick, steamy, and ever-so-sweet, it'll bring a gust of luck and a dopey smile or two on your face for sure. (Although, diabetics, beware! Shalvis does not hesitate to mention chocolate...again and again and again. Thus, tread with caution! A craving for chocolate in practically guaranteed should this book fall into your unsuspecting hands...)

Title: The Luckiest Lady in London 

Author: Sherry Thomas 

Rating: 4 Stars

I swore off of Sherry Thomas after Not Quite a Husband destroyed me, leaving me an emotional wreck. With just a mere string of words Thomas held my heart far above my reach and the palpable pain she portrayed within the pages of her romance was unbearable. Needless to say, I've sought much happier, less bittersweet love stories since and, thankfully, The Luckiest Lady in London fits the bill. While it still contains Thomas's signature skill of character and persona, developing complex - and deeply flawed - heroes and heroines for us to love, the emotional scarring was minimal, though still felt. For fans of historical romance, this is a definite winner, filled with an enticingly entertaining courtship and a wonderfully contained marriage afterwards. Very, very highly recommended.

Title: Wild Child 

Author: Molly O'Keefe

Rating: 4 Stars

I've been finding it really, really tough to write a review for the Molly O'Keefe books I've read. Firstly, because the covers make this book seem like erotica or hard-core contemporary romance when it's more of a raw, realistic, and brutal look at life. It's an adult novel, so yes, it has fairly explicit sex, but the sex is only one aspect to the depth these books contain. Of course these characters are broken, but they're the kind of broken that passes for normal until it doesn't. And these are the kind of relationships, messy and unflinchingly honest, that we all sustain, at some point or the other, in our lives. I really wish I could articulate how perfectly O'Keefe writes really complex story arcs, with plenty of swoon to counter the dark places she takes her characters, but I can't. If you're one for realistic novels, ones that use sex as a means of empowerment, take characters out of the boxes we've labeled for them, and is downright un-put-downable, read Molly O'Keefe. I just don't think you can go wrong with her.

17 comments:

  1. LOL! Love your letter to the pubs. I feel that way a lot of the time, too. I mean, I'll get to them...but it might not be in a timely manner. Love these minis -- you've now GROWN my TBR list, darn it all (and yay!). I do love a good romance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love your little letter it was fun to read. It's nice to have many little reviews like that. I know I need to try the Shalvis books one day I keep hearing amazing things about them and I know I'll like them as well. I didn't know the third book but I heard about the last one. I'm glad you had a good time with all these novels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEAH KEERTANA!!!! You've been on a romance binge, I love it! Jill Shalvis is fantastic, I devour her books as well. The Luckiest Lady in London was my first Sherry Thomas adult novel and I adored that one! I will definitely be reading more of her historical romances:) Wild Child has quite the sexy cover. Hello, muscles. *adds to list*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and enjoy learning more on this subject. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog page with more info? Its extremely helpful for me....Cccam Server

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOOOO! I love romance binges, in fact I'm on one now. It tends to get me out of my slum from other genres. I know with a romance/contemporary that this is where my heart lies. I love how they are all positive 4 star ratings. The Jill Shalvis books, can they be read in any order or as a Standalone as I saw they were different sequels in the series. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on these ones. Lovely mini-reviews, Keertana. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How do you find these novels? I would think the Shalvis novels were cheesy from the covers, the Sherry Thomas novel I would never expect to be well written, just formulaic and Wild Child, well you said it Erotica. And yet you say they are none of these things. I am going to have to cull your archives for more books like this! Great mini reviews!

    Are you saying you currently have snow on the ground?? I am so sorry if you do! I'll send some warm/hot weather your way.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice reviews!! I often think that romance books are given bad covers. Sometimes they just scream SEX when there is so much more, and a different cover could really bring in new and different readers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky Harbor series are my absolute favorite romance series,initially I was little confused with how the series carried on, but once I got the hang of it, I was hooked. I haven't read any of Sherry Thomas books. I'm adding The Luckiest Lady in London to my to-read list. The cover of Wild Child seems to be like erotica and I don't mind reading explicit scenes and it was such a convincing review, so I'll be reading it. Wonderful Mini-reviews, Keertana (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes you just gotta forgo everything except what calls to you. Helps you not get burnout too. :) These all looks so delightful and I think I'm about ready for a sweet romance. I also like the sound of Wild Child. I don't mind a lot of smex in the books, but there needs to be a story within. That one sounds like one I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They all sound good, and the Shalvis I have read have been cute :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. everyone LOVES the lucky harbor series!! i must try it out one day!!!

    and i am not sure if i read the luckiest lady in london (prob??) but i love entertaining historical romances!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely love Jill Shalvis' Lucky Harbor series! It's one of those auto buys for me. :)

    Sometimes, reading good romance books to break up the monotony becomes counter productive. I tend to get stuck in that genre! lol.

    Awesome reviews, Keertana. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great mini review Keertana. I have a few of these in my tbr pile and it looks like I will be adding Wild Cjild..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL Girl I'm with you with the whole ignoring ARCs thing. I don't even sync my Kindle as I know I'll get depressed. But I can see you're quite enjoying Lucky Harbor and Victorian England. I haven't heard of either of these The Luckiest Lady in London sounds interesting. Great reviews, Keertana :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am definitely adding all of these to my TBR. It's hard to find interesting romances. I'm very interested in The Luckiest Girl ... this is the first I've heard of the author :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, girl, I'll have to borrow that letter - I am mastering the art of ignoring too. :)
    This are not kind of books I'd usually pick, but I have to admit that l am curious about historical romances.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE that you've been indulging in what you want to read instead of your ARC pile. I'm terrible at making myself read something I don't want to, so I completely sympathize. I think you SHOULD do this, or else reading would become a chore. The Lucky Harbor series is another one I need to read. I'm terribly terribly behind in Romance so much so that I need to pick favorites and do a sprinkling of different authors. I'm so glad that Sherry Thomas can do a happy romance. I'm still a little worried about the outcome of her YA series, but hopeful. and WIld Child definitely looks hard core, but I'm so glad that it has a strong story within its pages.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers and I read, reply, and appreciate every one of the comments I receive!(: If you're a fellow blogger, please leave a link to your blog - I'd love to drop by!

Unfortunately, this is now an award-free blog. I simply do not have the time to respond and forward on the award, but I truly appreciate the nomination regardless.