Saturday, January 26, 2013

Review: A Face Like Glass by Frances Hardinge


Title: A Face Like Glass

Author: Frances Hardinge

Rating: 4.5 Stars

A Face Like Glass tells the tale of Caverna, an underground city, much like Alice's Wonderland. In Caverna, babies are born with the inability to show their emotions on their face and, as such, are taught how to mold their faces into expressions by wearing masks. If that wasn't strange enough, Caverna is a land of magic - although it is never seen as magical - for the wines can erase your memories, cheeses can help you see the future, and perfumes can command your thoughts. Into this world is thrown Neverfell, a girl whose every thought is shown visibly on her face. As such, she is a threat to those in Caverna who fear the honesty of her gaze but also seek to exploit her innocence. Neverfell is first apprenticed to Master Grandible, a renowned cheese-maker who hides away in tunnels to escape the ruthless politics of the Court. When Neverfell chases a white rabbit, with the original intent of bringing it back to her master, she stumbles into the world of Cavera and from there, her journey is every bit as crazy as can be imagined.

I hardly know where to start when it comes to Hardinge's spectacular novel. For one, let me assure you that it blew me away and, despite being a Middle Grade Fantasy novel, I found that it was every bit as thought-provoking and intelligent as YA and Adult reads, if not better because of its subtleties, cleverness, and surprising plot twists. Caverna is a city with secrets, a cavernous tunnel that changes ever-so-slowly and calmly watches over the people in her kingdom, all of whom are pawns in a giant game of politics. Whether it be the powerful families who make the delicacies of Caverna and battle amongst each other in a quest for power or the Grand Steward, the ruler himself who has transformed himself in such a way that one eye is always open, always watching for betrayal, Caverna is a land where no one is safe.

Into this world is thrown Neverfell, a naive and innocent child after having been sheltered by Master Grandible, away from the deceitful society of Caverna, all her life. At first, the people of Caverna are unsure whether to be terrified of the raw honesty in Neverfell's face or simply use her to exploit their own malicious intent. As such, as she passed around in this game of Court from powerful families to powerful leaders to powerful enemies. Although Neverfell is initially very trusting of everyone, including strangers she meets, her resolve, good will, and resilient nature make her an engaging heroine, not an irritating one. Furthermore, as the novel wears on, her growth is gradual, both as a person and as a player in the game she has been unwillingly thrown into.

While Neverfell remains the most fleshed-out of all the characters in this novel, nearly every character in this tale becomes well-developed with the progression of this tale and, best of all, the villains aren't all black-and-white, but rather multiple entities of grey. In fact, seeing this world through the eyes of Neverfell, it is difficult to be sure, at times, if friends are truly enemies and enemies are truly friends. In the midst of this political intrigue, Neverfell slowly comes to realize who she is. It is evident that she is not a citizen of Caverna but rather of the outside world where, rumor has it, the sun burns off your skin. As Neverfell has no memory of her childhood, of how she came to be in Caverna, this intriguing tale of political mystery is in equal parts a gentle story of growing up, of becoming the person you can be when circumstance forces you into dark corners. It seems like a very dark tale at times, but rest assured that Hardinge always keeps the silver lining just within reach.

Now, how else can I possibly express my love for this story? It does lag a bit in the middle as the climax of the story approaches, but either than that small flaw, it is very nearly perfect in every way. Once immersed into the world Hardinge has created, you won't want to come out and, when you do, you'll most likely realize that you've gone just a little mad while in Caverna yourself. A Face Like Glass is such a multi-faceted tale, forcing you, as the reader, to not only join in on a world full of lies, but also to question the lies in our own every-day lives. Even more than that, though, it is a tale of revolution and of flying free from control and power, whether it be in terms of social class or just escaping from the tight web of lies that this underground city runs on. Either way, you can read A Face Like Glass with one surefire thought - you will emerge from it changed, reflective, and itching for more of Hardinge's writing, even if it means walking into the children's section of your library.

Reviewer's Note: It should be known that I am absolutely terrible at writing reviews for books I love. I hardly know if what I've written here makes sense, so allow me to direct you to the review of one who constantly humbles me with her prose. Catie, at the Readventurer, convinced me to pick this up with her review and, without a doubt, she will convince the rest of you as well. I cannot recommend her review enough.

11 comments:

  1. You are not terrible at writing reviews for the books you love. This one is brilliant! I actually had never heard of this book until I saw your review on Goodreads, but now I really like the sound of it. It seems very creative and well-built, and I'm glad you mentioned that the villains aren't simply black and while. Those are my favourite kinds. I must get hold of this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Sam! Your reviews are always unfailingly eloquent, and this one is no exception. Your love for this book makes me want to pick it up right away. Especially since you say that all the characters are very well developed. Wonderful review, Keertana!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keertana, do not worry about your reviews, they are eloquent, succinct and a beautiful prose all on their own. I will tell you now, I simply adore reading your reviews because they always reflect a true emotion!

    This novel sounds absolutely brilliant. It seems to have lots of dimensions, interesting villains and lots of action. I haven't heard of it before, but thank you for putting it onto my radar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keertana you never fail to amaze me with your gorgeous and witty reviews, I know how tough it can be writing reviews for books that you love, always tend to ramble or gush non-stop, but seriously you have done one heck of a job with this review, I can see how much of an impression it left on you and I love your enthusiasm for this book. I think despite A Face Like Glass, not being my typical read I could really grow to like Neverfell! Gorgeous review hun!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds fantastic, Keertana! I have always loved middle grade and children's fantasy novels set in crazy worlds. Like THE PHANTOM TOLLBOOTH or even ALICE'S ADVENTURES IN WONDERLAND. I especially love when the stories can be read on a variety of levels and are surprisingly complex. The fact that the villains are not black and white is particularly interesting. I will definitely add this to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been hearing good things about Frances Hardinge lately, especially about A Face Like Glass. I usually don't read middle grade, but I might have to make an exception for this novel! It sounds so creative and whimsical, and I love the fact that it's like an Alice in Wonderland story but still sounds to be very much it's own story. Wonderful review, Keertana!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keertana, I just want to hug this review! You've done such a great job of capturing the subtle genius of Hardinge, the amazing Neverfell and the world of Caverna. That part where THE STORY JUST GOES MISSING?! Omg, I still get excited just thinking about how awesome that was to bridge to the climax. Love love love. Please read The Lost Conspiracy soon. Kthxbai.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Great review, seriously when I love a book I wonder if I'm reviewing or rambling, but yours is a fab review and it's made me want A Face Like Glass right now. Have added it to my Goodreads list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great review. Don't doubt yourself like that.

    Oh this proves that a good book is a good book no matter the audience it is intended.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful review! Your review made perfect sense but I suffer from the same thing when I write a review for a book I love but don't worry your review was awesome and makes me want to read the book even more!
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
  11. A Face Like Glass tells the story of Neverfell, a girl who doesn't quite fit into her world, Caverna, a city below ground. In Caverna, magical foods are created and sold at high price to those who live above ground. But the people of Caverna can never leave, nor can they make natural facial expressions; they must learn to wear them like children are taught to put on clothes. When Neverfell, with her fluidly expressive face, is discovered, she throws the strange world of Caverna into disarray.

    Marlene
    Indiana Health Insurance Exchange

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers and I read, reply, and appreciate every one of the comments I receive!(: If you're a fellow blogger, please leave a link to your blog - I'd love to drop by!

Unfortunately, this is now an award-free blog. I simply do not have the time to respond and forward on the award, but I truly appreciate the nomination regardless.