Sunday, March 9, 2014

Showcase Sunday (#32)

Showcase Sunday is a weekly meme hosted by Vicki at Books, Biscuits and Tea. Its aim is to showcase our newest books or book related swag and to see what everyone else received for review, borrowed from libraries, bought in bookshops and downloaded onto eReaders this week.

For Review:
pic name pic name pic name
pic name pic name pic name
I've been meaning to pick up a novel by Sarah Beth Durst since I first heard her praise, nearly two years ago. Vessel, for some reason, lost my attention within only a few pages and the mixed reviews have prevented me from going back to it. The Lost, I hope, will prove to finally ingratiate me into her fandom. *fingers crossed* Jennifer Brown's Torn Away will also be my first venture into her work. After reading Lara Zielin's The Waiting Sky last year, also about a tornado, I knew I had to pick up Brown's latest, so let's hope it doesn't disappoint. As for these other titles, they're self-explanatory. I adored Kuehn's debut Charm and Strange, I loved Moriarty's A Corner of White, Marillier has been a long-time favorite of mine, Brown's Born of Illusion proved to be a pleasant surprise, Sarah Ockler is one of the few contemporary authors I read without prompting, and Mary Ann Rivers's Live left me speechless

Borrowed: 
pic name pic name pic name
pic name pic name pic name
pic name pic name pic name
I absolutely loved both The Wild Girl and The Laurentine Spy, two unknown novels that I feel compelled to write reviews for despite the fact that I do not know what to say. Moth and Spark, sadly, was a bit of a disappointment though Stealing Heaven was yet another successful venture into Scott's work. After enjoying Heartbeat earlier this year, I plan to make my way through her backlog. Raybourn's famous Lady Julia Series quickly lost my interest, but I'm hoping I have better luck with her latest, City of Jasmine. Of course, I couldn't resist the historical fantasy allure of Tsarina and The Winner's Curse was absolutely delightful (though a tad bit over-hyped in my opinion). I've been meaning to pick up a Kearsley novel for a loooong time since I adore historical fiction, so after my success with The Wild Girl, I'm hoping The Winter Sea becomes another favorite. And I just haven't been able to resist The Palace Job after Nafiza's glowing review.

What did you receive this week? I love checking out book hauls, so be sure to link me! :)

18 comments:

  1. Lovely collection of books Keertana!! I'm on the lookout for your review of 'The Winner's Curse'. Sarah ockler is one of my favorite contemporary authors and I'm really excited for '#scandal'. I was just approved for 'Torn Away' and let's hope it doesn't disappoint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got Born of Deception as well this week! So much excitement for that one >.< I got Cracks in the Kingdom a while ago--will need to request book 1 before reading it though

    Happy reading, girlie! <33

    ReplyDelete
  3. Part of my wants to pick up TWC, but another part is too scared because of all the hype. I'd so hate to be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some really amazing books this week! They sound fantastic :). Hope you enjoy them all!
    My Showcase Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great haul, Keertana. I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts on these. I especially am curious about Torn Away by Jennifer Brown. I liked The Waiting Sky so if the former is about tornado, then sign me up!

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love sarah Beth durst . Read read

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, that's a great haul! loving the covers on: The Palace Job, Born of Deception, A Crack in the Kingdom and Complicit

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fingers crossed for Torn Away, #scandal, and Laugh! I have high hopes for those. I tried reading the Moth and Spark but I was soooooo bored, and the romance was just not working for me. Maybe you'll have better luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah Ockler talked about this book when I went to a signing for The Book of Broken Hearts. I sensed drama from the description she gave. I'm interested to see what you think of it. Winner's Curse has been hyped. I'm curious to hear your feelings. I won't pick it up until more of the books are released. Amazing haul here, Keertana! Enjoy your reads! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, you are so lucky to have read The Wild Girl! I have been waiting to get a better job in order to justify spending that much on a book. I rely heavily on my library, but they can't order half of her books. :(

    I can't wait to read your review for The Winner's Curse. I was originally intrigued by the beautifully written blurb, but then it was consumed by the hype-monster.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for Ockler and Moriarty making it to your haul Keertana, I absolutely everything that Ockler writes, so can't wait to get my hands on her latest book. And I've heard only the best things about Moriarty's books, I definitely need more of her and Scott's books in my life! I look forward to reading your reviews! Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a pretty eclectic spread of books, there! A girl after my own heart. Loved Moth and Spark, am looking forward to Tsarina (it's on my TBR but I just haven't gotten to it yet). #scandal looks good, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a pretty eclectic spread of books, there! A girl after my own heart. Loved Moth and Spark, am looking forward to Tsarina (it's on my TBR but I just haven't gotten to it yet). #scandal looks good, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your haul this time is so amazing. So many books I want to read. Starting with Born of Illusions which I still haven't read and now I see that the sequel is out. I need to get to it. Not to mention The Winner's Curse, but I'm afraid to read it because all the hype. Great haul, Keertana :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never did get around to reading Durst's Conjured, but if you enjoy The Lost well enough, I may just go back to the library to pick it up again! I'm looking forward to your thoughts on Born of Deception! I've been interested in trying out this series but only if the sequel delivers. Oh, and I can't wait to read your thoughts on Tsarina! Both Heather and Lauren really loved it! Also, thanks for giving me new books to look into. I hadn't heard of The Winter Sea or The Palace Job --until now! Off to goodreads to read more about them. ;) Enjoy your books, K!

    Marlene @ The Flyleaf Review

    ReplyDelete
  16. These covers look so inviting! Hoping to hear your views on some! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope you LOVE The Cracks in the Kingdom, and I am so looking forward to reading The Wild Girl :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers and I read, reply, and appreciate every one of the comments I receive!(: If you're a fellow blogger, please leave a link to your blog - I'd love to drop by!

Unfortunately, this is now an award-free blog. I simply do not have the time to respond and forward on the award, but I truly appreciate the nomination regardless.