Monday, March 3, 2014

ARC Mini-Reviews: Half Bad by Sally Green & Murder of Crows by Anne Bishop


Title: Half Bad (Half Life Trilogy, #1)

Author: Sally Green

Rating: 4 Stars

Release Date: March 4th, 2014 

It seems that ever since Harry Potter, YA has ironically become dominated by female protagonists, paranormal romances, and magical realms. With Half Bad, though, debut novelist Sally Green returns to a familiar formula - male protagonist, a society of witches living among humans, and a young boy who grows up with a family raising him against their wishes. And yet, Half Bad has been making waves around the blogosphere, not because of its similarities to Rowling's work, but rather because Green breathes life into her characters, twisting a knife deeper and deeper into our gut; we bleed when they bleed, we cry when they cry, and we hope when they hope. Half Bad is not without its flaws, but it is an unforgettable debut; honestly, what more could you possibly ask for?

Nathan, the main character and narrator of Half Bad, is the son of the deadliest Black Witch in history, Marcus. Luckily - or unluckily, depending on how you look at it - he is also the son of a White Witch. Nevertheless, Nathan's entire life is a ticking bomb. Whether it be his family or his neighbors, everyone around Nathan is simply waiting for him to reveal the darkness within. And, even more dangerous, the White Witches are waiting for him to make a mistake...just one. Half Bad excels in exposing the ironies of Nathan's society, delving into the ugly politics of this world and keeping nothing hidden. Green's world-building, though lacking in some minor aspects, is, for the most part, quite remarkable. More importantly, though, it is timed impeccably, peeling back the layers to this realm expertly.

Half Bad is a worthwhile read, however, due to its characters. I dare you not to feel when you pick this up. I dare you. While some readers may struggle with sections told from the second person narration, I thoroughly enjoyed the prose and, in particular, the multiple shades to each character. Nathan, specifically, is a good person, forced to his breaking point since his entire society is against him. It is the evolution of his character and growth which makes Half Bad a novel to remember. Admittedly, the ending is rushed and the romance lacks true spark, but I am utterly confident in the directions Green plans to take this novel. Unpredictable, heart-pounding, and enticing, Half Bad is not a novel to put off - not for any reason in the world.

Title: Murder of Crows (The Others, #2) 

Author: Anne Bishop

Rating: 4 Stars

Release Date: March 4th, 2014 

Written in Red burst upon my radar last year, simply demanding to be read. And, to my utter delight, it not only introduced a rich new Urban Fantasy world, but it also charmed me, forging connections with characters I'd only just met and stealing my heart entirely. Needless to say, Murder of Crows swiftly became one of my most anticipated reads of the year and, I am pleased to report, it did not disappoint. Following the events of Written in Red, the Others of Lakeside are no longer the disturbingly scary non-human predators they've constantly claimed to be. Instead, Meg's appearance into their lives - and more importantly, into their hearts - has instilled a grudging level of respect and acceptance for humans. Now, however, a deadly group is about to shatter that fragile peace. When drugs specifically targeted to bring down the Others are used against them, Simon Wolfgard, leader of the Others in Lakeside, is determined to do stop the violence against his kind. Especially when the threat is not only to his own people, but to Meg as well.

Where Murder of Crows shines is in its prose, Bishop introducing perspectives of characters which later play a larger role as the novel wears on. It's an intriguing tactic and a style of writing which works perfectly, allowing the focus of this novel to be split between character development and mystery both. Of course, the plot is tight and enticing, keeping the pages slipping through fingers slick with tension. Yet, the reason this series is so beloved, even by just the second novel, is because of its characters. Meg is as charming as ever, though Simon, with his increased narration space, steals the show with his genuine confusion and noble intentions to be a good friend to his Meg. Simon and Meg's relationship changes and grows in this novel, teetering ever-closer to the romance we can feel sizzling between the two. Unfortunately, Murder of Crows zooms in on their friendship, largely ignoring the multitude of relationships Meg formed with many other members of the Compound. Nevertheless, those aspects of Written in Red are not pertinent to the plot of Murder of Crows, though they are missed. As a whole, however, Murder of Crows is a strong sequel, tying together an impeccably paced plot - one whose repercussions I am curious to see unfold in the next installment - and an even more beloved relationship. It builds upon the already expansive world-building of Written in Red and for readers waiting to see if this a series worth sticking with for the long haul, Murder of Crows confirms that yes, it definitely is.

18 comments:

  1. I had way too high hopes on red still it was good and I do want murder

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had way too high hopes on red still it was good and I do want murder

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am jumping on my toes in anticipation for the release of Half Bad--I love unpredictable and well crafted novels. As for Murder of Crows, the hype surrounding the first book has me convinced that I need to pick it up soon.

    Lovely reviews, Keertana! <33

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say, I am pretty excited about books right now! Well, I'm always excited but now I am extra excited. I feel like there are so many new and fantastic books being released and Half Bad is one of these. I've only heard of it recently but your review has cemented my need to read it, stat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great reviews, Keertana.
    I can't wait to read Half Bad - now even more after you liked it that much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really didn't like Half Bad but I love that it's a polarizing book with people loving and hating it. Yay for books that provoke reactions (as opposed to meh books).

    LOVE this new Anne Bishop series. LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Half Bad is getting a lot of buzz lately. Sounds like Nathan is a poor kid. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Lovely reviews, dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're review twins, Keertana! I actually quite enjoyed HALF BAD, though I'll admit I found some flaws in the world-building. I loved the complexity of it, and I think that Nathan was just an amazing character. Fantastic review, girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I definitely was one of those readers who struggled with the second person narration Keertana! It was so much the second person itself but the seeming randomness of it, coming into play only in the beginning and then once in the middle. I'm so glad the story worked so well for you though, and I'm definitely curious to see where things will go for Nathan moving forward.

    I need to get Murder of Crows for my mother in law, she loved Written in Red!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hm... I think now I get why Half Bad had been getting mixed reviews. Still sounds fab and as long as I'm into the characters as much as you are, then I'm good. Oh and I just got Written in Red. Can't wait to dive into this world. So glad that the second rocks as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I admit to not paying much attention to Half Bad these last few weeks only up until recently. You know how much I enjoy my books which make you feel, so think that I will really be able to appreciate this book. And I'm glad to see that Bishop provided you with a wonderful follow up in Murder of Crows! Gorgeous reviews Keertana!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did not read your review of Murder of Crows since I am dying in anticipation. My audible will arrive tomorrow..squee! I have Half Bad, and wasn't sure if I wanted to read it or not, I must say Keertana your review has me curious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how I love these pair of reviews together, Keertana! You say the characters have stolen your heart, yes? Well, I need to jump on their train and FAST - especially the Murder of Crows train! Since it's a UF series, there will likely be more than 3 books, correct? Yes, I'll need to start this series soon. If too many installments are published under the series, I could become overwhelmed and lose interest. And I do NOT want to lose interest! The characters and the world-building sound way too incredible. Half Bad sounds just as memorable - even if the world-building could use a little improvement. Still, the connections you've made with both sets of characters is what I'm looking to do, and I need to do it soon! Thanks for letting me know. :)

    Marlene @ The Flyleaf Review

    ReplyDelete
  14. I definitely fell hard for Nathan in Half Bad, and hurt when he hurt. I agree that the characters are the strongest. So many great secondaries in this book. I hope we see many of them again. I'm interested how the Black/White witch divide will play out in the future. And I'm definitely excited to see where Nathan's journey goes. We're also in agreement about what that should mean for the romance :). "Enticing" is a good word for this book. Great review.

    YES! I love the Others series so much as you know. I like this sentence, "Where Murder of Crows shines is in its prose, Bishop introducing perspectives of characters which later play a larger role as the novel wears on." These characters stand out so well, though the world building is also incredibly strong. It's just a rich book all around. I agree that #2 is in many ways Simon's book, and we get much less of Meg's daily life and relationships. I did miss Sam and even a bit more of Tess. But I also appreciated the zooming out into the larger world, and I think since we know Meg so well, this book's shifting focus made sense. She's the center of everything but not directing the action. I love the slow burn between Simon and Meg and I cannot wait to see what happens in book 2. Insightful review as always!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm planing on reading both of these. Half-Blood is something that appeals to me and knowing my reading preferences I know I'm going to love it. When you connect with the character it's always great to follow the story. For the Murder of Crows. I honestly I have seen the first book around but with all these glowing reviews for this one I'm going to get to it soon.
    I'm so glad you enjoyed both of these. Great reviews, Keertana :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just started Half Bad, and so far so good! I'm very pleased to see that you gave it four stars, and that you speak so highly of the characters. I've read a few reviews that had me wondering if this was going to be a win for me, but I feel confident after your lovely review that I'm going to love it! And ahhhh I still need to read Written in Red, really I am kicking myself for not having done so already! I'm making that my weekend mission. Lovely reviews Keertana! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am reading Half-Bad in the next few days :D so excited. Lot's of feels huh?

    And of course still swooing over The Other's series..must read.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah, I'm finally here to read your review of MURDER OF CROWS and I'm glad to see that you enjoyed it! Simon really does steal the show, it's impossible to resist all that wolfish charm.

    I am with you in wanting more shown with the secondary characters, though, particularly in Meg's relationships with them. There are so many fascinating ones, and while we don't need ALL of them to be explored and we do get some nice moments with some, I think it would make the series stronger if a little more time was spent with some of the fascinating characters hovering in the background.

    Still, so much to love. So much. :)

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers and I read, reply, and appreciate every one of the comments I receive!(: If you're a fellow blogger, please leave a link to your blog - I'd love to drop by!

Unfortunately, this is now an award-free blog. I simply do not have the time to respond and forward on the award, but I truly appreciate the nomination regardless.