Friday, November 8, 2013

Series Review: October Daye (#1 - #3) by Seanan McGuire


Title: Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, #1) 
Author: Seanan McGuire
Rating: 3 Stars

Rosemary and Rue is a promising start to what I can already see shaping up to be one of my favorite UF Series. From the beginning itself, McGuire's novel starts out differently from most other UF Series - with our protagonist being turned into a fish for fourteen years. Thus, when the book really kicks off, Toby Daye, our changeling heroine in question, is determined to avoid her past as a faerie knight and PI. What I really love about this set-up is that it allows us, the reader, to be newly introduced into this world all while assimilating right in the middle of Toby's life. McGuire writes superbly, imbibing her characters with depth and covering the back story - full of well-crafted world-building - perfectly too.

I was particularly surprised, however, by how quickly I came to enjoy Toby's narration. Usually, it takes me awhile to warm up to a new UF narrator, but with Toby, I seemed to merely fall into the story. Not only is she kick-ass - as you'd expect - but her vulnerability bleeds through as well, making her sharp feelings and conflicted emotions deeply felt. Moreover, her interactions with the secondary characters are filled with a past - which I always love - and has made me eager to see how these friendships - and not-so-friendly-relationships - develop in the future. If there are any true downfalls with this installment, it is that the middle lags - considerably. Rosemary and Rue is slow, as can be expected from Grant, but it does knock off the pace of the story until it finally picks up by the end. Nevertheless, this first edition to the October Daye Series leaves readers thirsting for more, both of Toby and her world. And, really, what more can an avid UF lover ask for?

Title: A Local Habitation (October Daye, #2) 
Author: Seanan McGuire
Rating: 2.5 Stars

A Local Habitation is a disappointment after the promising start of Rosemary and Rue. While Toby is a changed woman from both books - her acceptance of her role in Faerie a relief - the plot of this novel is its ultimate downfall. While Rosemary and Rue could be slow, it kept me guessing till the end, quite unlike this installment. A Local Habitation is dragged out to the point where Toby simply looks stupid. Although she's a detective, she misses many obvious clues until the end. And sure, I didn't put together the entire mystery scheme, but she could have done it a lot sooner too. If there are any saving graces it is the relationships Toby establishes with Quentin, her sidekick, and the sizzling tension between herself and Tybalt. Also, Toby is no longer the bitter and upset woman she was in the previous installment, so finally seeing her self-sacrificing and kick-ass nature come out was a pleasant change. I haven't given up on this series yet - I'm too obsessed with Tybalt for that - but I doubt I'll be quite as excited for the next book.

Title: An Artificial Night (October Daye, #3) 
Author: Seanan McGuire
Rating: 2 Stars/DNF

I got through a little more than half of this novel before I realized, plain and simple, that I wasn't enjoying it. When it comes to the October Daye series, I go through a cycle, of sorts. First, there's the love phase, which is the first third of the book. McGuire sets up each novel perfectly, the mystery unique and intriguing, Toby's growth and relationships gripping...until the set-up is over and then comes the wait. McGuire has a tendency to drag out her stories, whether it be through a decreased pace or just an ignorance of in-your-face facts. During this phase of the books, Toby interacts with a variety of characters - none of whom I've come to feel much emotional attachment for - and the novel seems as if it will never end. Finally, during the last fifth of the book, the plot finally picks up, the story is wrapped up well, and Tybalt makes a final appearance.

It's Tybalt's appearance that screws me over every time. I feel the urge to pick up the next book and not give up on this series because of his presence, despite the fact that he is a rather underused character. I feel as if McGuire could develop so many more of these secondary characters, instead of keeping Toby the center - and only - true focus. More than that, however, the slow pacing of these books causes me to tune out, the repetitive settings and themes - particularly the fact that Toby isn't actually a hero - force me to grind my jaw in frustration and, ultimately, I don't have the patience to continue with this series anymore. I still believe it has a lot of potential and, I know for a fact, that many readers will really enjoy this. I prefer my Urban Fantasy fast-paced, emotional, and not quite a chore to read through, though. I know I'll be checking out McGuire's Indexing sometime soon, but my adventures with Toby (and sadly Tybalt too!) have come to an end.

16 comments:

  1. Oh dear, it sucks to see this series go downhill for you! It looked like it had a whole lot of potential. I think this author is also known as Mira Grant if I'm right...

    Lovely reviews, Keertana! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, she is Mira Grant. Feed is an excellent novel from her, but this series didn't work out for me, sadly. If you're interested in her work, though, Feed is really good.

      Delete
  2. It's a shame you've decided to give up on these; the later books in the series are really, really good--in no small part because there is A LOT more Tybalt.

    The main thing that bothered me about these first few books was the constant insistence that you can't trust the Fae, you can't thank them, they will stab you in the back, they are incapable of love, blah blah blah...but that only seems to be the case with a few characters. The rest of them act like normal people.

    Kate @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard the series gets better, but usually with UF they really pick up by the third book and this series just kept following a pattern of prose I couldn't get behind. Maybe I'll return to it in a few years and it'll work out better - I really DO love Tybalt!(;

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry such a promising UF series didn't pan out for you Keertana. I totally trust your opinion in regards to UF so I won't even waste my time. Great reviews! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel! I think I'm so used to fast-paced UF like Kate Daniels, Fever, and Mercy Thompson that I couldn't get into this one. Maybe I'll return to it in the future - who knows?

      Delete
  4. I have never heard of this one, but she's being turned into fish?? Like for real? It's a bit hard to imagine. Anyhow I'm so sorry this series went the wrong way. From the first book I'd say that this had so much potential but it's been ruined then. Thanks for the honest reviews, Keertana :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry that this series ended up disappointing for you Keertana. From reading your review for the first book I was hoping that it would get more stronger as the series progressed, but stories which are dragged out are never my cup of tea either. I hope the next UF series you pick up is a lot more enjoyable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This happens too often in series these days, I think. I doubt this is for me, but it had such a great premise that I would hope to follow-through would be solid, as well. It's unfortunate that it wasn't. Thank you so much for your honest reviews though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the sound of Toby in the first book Keertana, it's such a bummer that the plot in the second and third books take so much away from a strong heroine. I don't do well with books that drag, I tend to like quicker-paced stories, so I think I would run into the same troubles as you with this series. Hope Indexing works better for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. *sigh* I tried and I tried and I tried, all to no avail. I wanted to like this series so much both as a passionate UF reader and as a huge Mir Grant fan. Feed is my favorite book like, ever, and I simply can't reconcile the fact that this was written by the same person. It pains me to admit it, but none of her Seanan books really worked for me. InCryptid was closer, but still not quite there.
    Lovely reviews, hon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no! I have had the first couple of books forever and I love her scifi series. I still have to give them a try sometime, but it's good to have tempered expectations for it. I have heard pretty much nothing but raves for this series until now.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  10. I admit, the reason this series came to my attention was one of the later covers. I was excited to start this series, now I'm not so sure. Still, have the first book and the one that captured my attention. If I give it a go, perhaps I will library book them. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no... I'm sorry this series didn't live up to your hopes. Personally I always think that the first book starts off with a really good premise but by the looks of them it goes downhill and thats disappointing. Like when a film has a naff ending. I really liked the sounds and visual covers of these books...maybe I'll will get to them eventually. Lovely reviews though Keertana. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw, I'm sorry that this series just isn't working for you, Keertana! That's always a frustrating realization to make. I *really* want to start getting into more UF myself, and I was thinking that maybe this would be a good way, as McGuire/Grant seems approved of on all sides. I guess that's no longer the case. (I will get back to Kate Daniels eventually, but that first book was so slow that I'm dreading to return to that series, even though I know it improves.) I guess the search for a great UF series is a major undertaking? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for vetting these for me! It's so sad when a series doesn't meet the potential we see in the beginning. With all of the many UF series I need to read, I can safely strike this one from my list.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers and I read, reply, and appreciate every one of the comments I receive!(: If you're a fellow blogger, please leave a link to your blog - I'd love to drop by!

Unfortunately, this is now an award-free blog. I simply do not have the time to respond and forward on the award, but I truly appreciate the nomination regardless.