Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday (#9)

Waiting on Wednesday is a meme hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine. This meme highlights some of the books whose releases bloggers are most anticipating this year.

The book whose release I am most excited for this week is...

Title: This Is What Happy Looks Like
Author: Jennifer E. Smith
Release Date: 2013
In This is What Happy Looks Like, Jennifer E. Smith's new YA novel, perfect strangers Graham Larkin and Ellie O'Neill meet—albeit virtually—when Graham accidentally sends Ellie an email about his pet pig, Wilbur. In the tradition of romantic movies like "You've Got Mail" and "Sleepless in Seattle," the two 17-year-olds strike up an email relationship, even though they live on opposite sides of the country and don't even know each other's first names. Through a series of funny and poignant messages, Graham and Ellie make a true connection, sharing intimate details about their lives, hopes and fears. But they don't tell each other everything; Graham doesn't know the major secret hidden in Ellie's family tree, and Ellie is innocently unaware that Graham is actually a world-famous teen actor living in Los Angeles. When the location for the shoot of Graham's new film falls through, he sees an opportunity to take their relationship from online to in-person, managing to get the production relocated to picturesque Henley, Maine, where Ellie lives. But can a star as famous as Graham have a real relationship with an ordinary girl like Ellie? And why does Ellie's mom want her to avoid the media's spotlight at all costs?
I'm quite sure that none of you know this, but I think it's important I tell you: "You've Got Mail" is my favorite movie. Ever. It's one of the few things my mom and I share - a love of movies, books, and chocolate - and "You've Got Mail" is our movie. In fact, we can quote whole paragraphs from that movie because of how many times we've seen it together and it's my go-to movie to bring a smile on my face. So, you can imagine just how much I was fangirling and squealing like crazy when I saw that this novel was similar in tradition to "You've Got Mail." I loved Smith's previous novel, The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight, and while this one seems to be equally cheesy, I'm still really excited for it. I love the way Smith writes her characters with far more depth than you're expecting and a romance like this one is the type I've always loved to see play out. If only we had a definite release date for me to start counting down the days till... :)

Extra: Movie Recommendation! 

In case you didn't know, "You've Got Mail" is a movie about two bookstore owners (YES! BOOKSTORES! :D) who are rivals. Kathleen Kelly (Meg Ryan) owns a small children's bookshop which is slowly being put out of business by Joe Fox (Tom Hanks) with his big, new, super-size store, Fox Books, which sells cheap books. Yet, unknown to these two rivals is the fact that they have been communicating with one another - and are falling in love - online!

Why am I recommending this to you? Well, not only is "You've Got Mail" the perfect movie for this generation, with internet chat more popular than ever, it is also the perfect movie for any book lover. While Kathleen and Joe seem to be polar opposites, their romance plays out much like that of Darcy and Elizabeth in Pride and Prejudice.   If that isn't enough to make you want to watch this one, it's hilarious and its characters have an immense amount of depth to them which I truly love and appreciate, especially in a movie. If you have seen this before or wind up watching it soon, do let me know! I'd love to hear what you think of it, so you can just comment on any post of mine and tell me your thoughts when you see this or email me! (Yes, you can email me about a movie! I'm seriously so in love with this film!) 

27 comments:

  1. Okay, Keertana, please don't shoot me. I have never watched You've Got Mail!! Yes, I must have been living under the rock all this time. I really need to watch classic movie more, especially since I LOVE Meg Ryan! She's reaaallly beautiful and funny, isn't she? x)

    Anyway, LOVE your pick for WOW this week! Hehe, this book sounds very adorable! I would love for my email buddy to turn out as gorgeous actor too in real life! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't watch too many classic movies either, Hilda, but I'd love to see what you think of You've Got Mail if you see it! Meg Ryan really is amazing and so is Tom Hanks, so the casting is superb! Oh, and don't worry - I won't shoot you! :)

      Delete
  2. You've got Mail is really cute, and of course bookshops! The book sounds like a fun read :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? I'm so glad I'm not the only person out there who's seen it - it feels like that sometimes! ;)

      Delete
  3. This sounds really sweet :)

    Here's mine:http://uncorkedthoughts.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/www-wednesdays-4-waiting-on-wednesday-2.html

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this looks sooo good! And I have to tell you that You've Got Mail is also one of my favorite movies! I've seen it about 100 times and it never gets old.

    Here's my WOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so glad you've seen and enjoyed You've Got Mail too! It really never does get old! :D

      Delete
  5. This is the second time I'm seeing this book today. Glad cause i like the plot.

    my WoW
    http://itchingforbooks.blogspot.com/2012/08/waiting-on-wednesday-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. never heard of that one, but it also doesn't seem to be ny gendre anyway. Hope you enjoy it when you get it.
    :)
    WWW and WOW Post

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, this book sounds so incredibly CUT!. I loved The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight, and I can't wait to get my hands on this novel as well. Awesome choice, Keertana! <3
    Also... don't hit me, but I've never heard of this movie. It sounds fantastic, and I'm definitely gonna watch it soon! Thank you for the recommendation :3

    Beatriz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy the movie, Beatriz!(: I loved tSPoLaFS too, so I'm hoping this one is similar in style and execution as that one was! :D

      Delete
  8. I've never watched You've Got Mail, although this book kind of reminds me of a Meg Cabot book I read where a teen star pretends to be "normal" in a school. Teen Idol I believe. I really enjoyed that.

    HOWEVER, this sounds so much more EPIC! I want it NOW! I mean NOW! I haven't heard of this, but literally I cannot wait until 2013 for this book. I have no clue who the author is or anything else, except this book sounds downright awesome! Sorry for my gush rant, but it's been a while since I've seen a WoW other than my own that I've wanted so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read any Meg Cabot books, but perhaps I should check them out! I'm so glad you're excited about this novel too, Olivia! We can do a waiting dance for it together! ;) You should definitely check out the author if you liked the sound of this - her debut novel was one I looooved! I can't wait to see what you think of it! :D

      Delete
  9. Okay, this book sounds amazing! I hadn't even heard of it before I read your post, but I am so, so excited for it to be released so I can read it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I can't wait for its release either, Hollie! :D

      Delete
  10. I can't believe I missed this book!! This is going on my TBR right this second. It sounds a lot like The Statistical Probability of First Sight, which I really enjoyed! I'm already looking forward to this one.

    I can't believe I haven't seen You've Got Mail! I'm gonna have to watch it soon, it looks so cute! <3

    Thanks for sharing Keertana!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so glad I was able to introduce you to a new book, Aneeqah! I'm so excited for its release as well and can't wait to see what you think of You've Got Mail! :D

      Delete
  11. Awesome pick! I hadn't seen anything about this novel until now, but I too also loved Statistical Probablilty so I'll definitely be checking this one out as well!!

    My WoW

    -Brittani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you enjoy it as much as SP when it releases, Brittani!(:

      Delete
  12. Oh wow Keertana, you and your mother have such a lovely relationship when it comes to movies! I don't think my mom and I can find a movie where we can BOTH quote whole paragraphs... Impressive. :) Great pick this week! :) It sounds a tad cheesy, you're right, but very adorable also. :) Thank you for sharing and for the movie recommendation! I'll definitely check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my mom and I are quite close, Leanne! We watch a lot of movies together and she even read THG and we went to the premiere together! :) I do agree that this sounds a little cheesy, but I'm looking forward to it! I hope you enjoy the movie - be sure to let me know what you think! :D

      Delete
  13. This book sounds really good, thank you for sharing that book with us!! My WoW is http://ilovebooksclub101.blogspot.com/2012/08/waiting-on-wednesday-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the sound of this one!! New follower.

    My wow: http://pageafterpagereviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/waiting-on-wednesday_15.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm really looking forward to reading this one too! It sounds so good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This one does look really cute!!! I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it as well :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm really looking forward to this book! I loved Statistical Probability so I'm hoping this one's great too. Great pick! Thanks for stopping by my WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annmarie!(: I loved SP too, so I can't wait to see what Smith has planned next!(:

      Delete

I love hearing from my readers and I read, reply, and appreciate every one of the comments I receive!(: If you're a fellow blogger, please leave a link to your blog - I'd love to drop by!

Unfortunately, this is now an award-free blog. I simply do not have the time to respond and forward on the award, but I truly appreciate the nomination regardless.