Thursday, August 23, 2012

ARC Review: If I Lie by Corrine Jackson


Title: If I Lie

Author: Corrine Jackson

Rating: 5 Stars

Release Date: August 28th, 2012

If I Lie is easily one of the better written contemporary debuts I've come across this year, if not the best. It is powerful, thought-provoking, and is beautifully written. While it touches upon a variety of subjects and something or the other is constantly happening throughout the novel, at its core, it is a character-driven story like no other. I guess if I had to, I’d describe If I Lie as a cross between The Scarlet Letter and Speechless, but really, it is a novel that manages to hold its head high and stand all on its own, for although it covers a similar subject matter, it also covers so much more. It is a novel not only about bearing burdens, facing a cold shoulder of shame, torn families, friendship, and the army; it is also a story about hope and perseverance and the ability to find strength and courage even in the darkest of times.  

When Sophie Topher Quinn is caught kissing a guy – a guy who isn’t her marine boyfriend, Carey – it is the worst thing she can ever do in her small town. Where Sophie lives, nearly every family has had, or still does have, relatives in the army, so when Carey goes MIA, far from being ostracized, she is utterly ruined. Yet, the truth of the matter is this: Sophie didn’t cheat on Carey. Nevertheless, despite her innocence, Sophie is forced to take the blame for her heinous act because not doing so would reveal the truth - a truth that would break Carey apart. If that isn’t enough on her plate, Sophie is constantly compared to her mother who left her military father years ago, running away with his brother instead. In a world of lies, where Sophie is branded as a whore, a traitor, and must deal with her broken grief about her ex-boyfriend’s status in the military, it seems uncertain that the truth will ever come out.

If I Lie is an intense and heart-breaking read. I think what struck me the most about this novel though, for all the issues it undertook, was the fact that  every character was multi-dimensional. I don't know how it would be like to have a mother who cheated on my father or have friends who shun me or be a mother who abandoned her child, but I felt all those emotions and understood the reasoning behind these acts so clearly. Jackson paints such a vivid and unforgiving picture of Sophie's life, of what she's been through, of what the people she's known have been through, and of what compels them to make the actions that they make that I am simply in awe of her skill. Here, dear readers, is an author to look out for.

What else is there to look out for in this compelling read? Well, first and foremost, you will need tissue boxes for this novel - I don't care how freaking cold-hearted you are, you will need them. I didn't think I would and honestly, I didn't cry when all sorts of horrible things happened to Sophie, but I did sob my eyes out when it came to George, the old veteran who becomes a father-figure to Sophie and is an integral part of this story. I loved love George and he totally wins the award for my favorite character in this tale, especially because he is the sole person who sees Sophie for who she is and fails to buy into the gossip surrounding her. Sophie too is so incredibly strong that I can't help but admire her. I think most people think of kick-ass heroines as women who have fighting prowess or can take down a man, but I think what makes someone kick-ass is their inner strength and ability to go on in life without letting the troubles of life bring you down and Sophie is truly incredible. More than anything else though, she is an inspirational character and a headstrong woman, possessing all the qualities I love, not only in a character, but in a friend.

Yet, its wonderful characters and its richly developed and realistic relationships aside, I think one of the best things about this novel is its ability to have silver linings despite all the sorrow within it. Yes, it is an intense and emotional read and yes, Sophie goes through some terrible situations both in school and her community, but despite all of that, at the end it is her who comes out as a stronger person and one who knows who her true friends are. Furthermore, the messages and themes that come out of this novel are so realistic and have such a large degree of truth to them that you cannot help but ponder over them for hours afterwards. Even the romance, which is subtle, takes a well-deserves backseat to the other issues this story tackles, and is the very definition of bittersweet; and the rocky relationships Sophie sustains with her parents, which gradually develop into something better while managing to maintain its realistic roots, contain such deep and provocative messages that they will keep you thinking into the wee hours of the night. 

I can say so much more about this book, but I almost don’t want to. I don’t want my interpretation of this story and its characters to influence yours. I want everyone to go into this novel not knowing what to expect and emerge from it a tear-stricken mess, but one whose heart is infinitely lighter and happier than it was before. If you like Melina Marchetta, Hannah Harrington, Markus Zusak, or Kirsty Eagar novels, you'll love this one. It follows the same themes of self-discovery, strength, and family that those authors often write about and If I Lie is a debut that simply cannot be missed. It will make you think. It will make you reflect. It will make you sob. It will make you smile. It is so realistic that I am floored by the unique path Jackson chose to take this novel on and I love her all the more for it. I am so grateful to have gotten a chance to read this novel just days before its release as I might have overlooked it in favor of the other reads releasing on the same day, but believe me, this is utterly remarkable. I don't believe I've ever had occasion to say this before, but if you skip out on this phenomenal tale, then you are truly missing out. Read it.

27 comments:

  1. It's good to see a five star review! If I lie sounds wonderful and I enjoyed your review; it's definitely going on my 'TBR' list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I really hope you like this one, Katja! :)

      Delete
  2. I've heard fantastic things about this book and seeing 5 stars from you has sealed the deal. I will be getting a copy of this as soon as I can. While I'm not particularly in the mood for an intense and emotional book at the moment (I have a feeling this will make me sob my eyes out!), I will definitely keep it on hold for later. It doesn't sound like this is a novel to be missed. Beautiful review, Keertana! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam!(: If I Lie is such a phenomenal novel, so I'm so thrilled to hear you're going to be reading it soon! I can't wait! :D

      Delete
  3. I think that having inner strength is absolutely a sign of being kick ass. Good call on that.

    I haven't been much interested in If I Lie, but this review and the mention of the father figure absolutely puts If I Lie on my TBR list. I love a good, sobbing, emotional read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks April!(: I really loved this book and if you like emotional reads, this is the book for you without a doubt! :D

      Delete
  4. YES! Beautiful review Keertana! This book was just brilliant I thought, and my heart hurt so much for Sophie. I was awed by her strength, I'm not sure I could have endured what she did with the same grace - I surely would have crumbled. George was a favorite of mine as well, I was so glad there was at least one person to look at Sophie without scandal-tinted glasses. SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! I loved Sophie so much and George was of course, brilliant! It really was such a phenomenal debut, wasn't it? :)

      Delete
  5. True, missing out on this story is unthinkable. Absolutely, starling beautiful review Keertana!!!! You mentioned everything, everything I loved about this novel flawlessly. George is also my favorite character; he is sooo delightful!!!!!!! I also cried when what happened to george happened. I was so impressed by Quinn too, she is definitely a person to look up too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel!(: I cried during this novel a lot too, but it was such an emotional read that I was so touched by it. I loved it and can't wait to read what Corrine Jackson comes up with next! :)

      Delete
  6. Wow, If I Lie sounds fantastic! I love stories involving small towns; they're just so different (and in this case, apparently awful)! I can't wait to get my hands on this one. Great review, Keertana! :)
    - Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren! :D Stories involving small towns really do have a different aura around them, so I loved this story so much more because of that! I can't wait to see what you think of it! :)

      Delete
  7. While I haven't raed The Scarlet Letter, to hear you say it's a cross between that and SPEECHLESS.... hell, that's enough to have me salivating. Sophie sounds like one of the better heroines in fiction, and I love that she has such incredible inner strength. All the relationships sound so well developed, with layers and provoke genuine emotions in the reader and... gah! Just EVERYTHING you are saying about this has me wanting to run out and buy a copy NOW. And a box of tissues to accompany it.

    Wow. Just. Wow. AMAZING review. I am officially dying to read this <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brodie! You definitely have to check out this book - it's amazing! Sophie is one of the strongest heroines I've come across in YA Literature and she's such an inspiration to everyone. I can't waiiit for you to read this and I'm sure you'll thoroughly enjoy it! (Keep those tissues handy!)

      Delete
  8. LOVE this review! I've been waiting on this book ever since I first saw the cover and I am so glad it doesn't disappoint. You had me at heartbreaking and intense, I can't wait to read this and I know I will cry my eyes out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so glad you're going to pick this one up and I can't wait to see what you think of this! I loved it, so I hope you do too, Mandee! :D

      Delete
  9. I never read Scarlet Letter and Speechless, but I know the gist of the two. I always avoid tear-jerker books. I cry so easily and I get depressed as easily too, but Melina Marchetta? I'm sold. No matter how much I dislike tear-jerker books, my love for exceptionally written novels will always prevail. :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously this isn't on par with Marchetta's novels, but I loved it all the same! I hope you wind up really liking this one, Chel! :D

      Delete
  10. I heart this review. It sounds like such an intense and brilliant review! Love how you called it a cross between The Scarlett Letter and Speechless. I'm intrigued by both those books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ajoop! I loved this novel so much, so I really hope you get a chance to check this out soon! :D

      Delete
  11. ooh this sounds really good, will grab a box of puffs and some chocolate before i begin reading this one. Awesome review! New Follower, thanks to Candace's Book Blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you enjoy this one as it's wonderful! :D

      Delete
  12. Okay you had me at the comparison to Melina Marchetta! Sold! Got my box of tissues ready. Wonderful review Keertana. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I can't wait to see what you think of this one, Rachel, so I hope you enjoy it! :D

      Delete
  13. Catastrophic damage will be created if you attempt to connect to your home to your inverter. To assist make it much easier on folks to locate the greatest ones, we have place with each other a listing of suggestions you can use to greatest study these firms. It is very harmful to our environment and it is not effective in the long term. Degradation usually occurs because electrolyte migrates away from the electrodes or because active material falls off the electrodes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The story was complicated the characters were believable. The need for truth was awesome and I was right there with everyone.

    Marlene
    Top rated Alaskan Brown Bear Hunts guided

    ReplyDelete
  15. I came across If I Lie by accident and I couldn't be happier. I'm not much into YA books but this got me hooked from the start. The characters were believable and relatable even though the plot was a bit complex. Can't wait to read more of Jackson's works.

    ChatEbooks recently posted https://www.chatebooks.com/blog-Tips-on-Writing-a-Short-Story-and-Places-to-Get-It-Published

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers and I read, reply, and appreciate every one of the comments I receive!(: If you're a fellow blogger, please leave a link to your blog - I'd love to drop by!

Unfortunately, this is now an award-free blog. I simply do not have the time to respond and forward on the award, but I truly appreciate the nomination regardless.