Sunday, August 19, 2012

Showcase Sunday (#9)

Showcase Sunday is a weekly meme hosted by Vicki at Books, Biscuits and Tea. Its aim is to showcase our newest books or book related swag and to see what everyone else received for review, borrowed from libraries, bought in bookshops and downloaded onto eReaders this week.

For Review: 
I have a small confession to make: I already finished reading this. I picked it up yesterday afternoon and finished it in the evening, just hours later, my eyes red from crying and the tracks of dried up tears still visible on my face. In all honesty, I might have simply tossed this novel aside to read later if I hadn't received it as an ARC, so I am so glad I did; it was phenomenal, powerful, and utterly thought-provoking. I'll be posting my review of this novel this week, so stay tuned for that, but meanwhile, just know that this is highly recommended.

Borrowed:
pic namepic name pic name
I've heard so many good things about this novel and really, why not? It's Australian after all! ;) It's always tough to come by Aussie books in the US, so I was thrilled when my librarian confessed she had a copy of it in her home and offered it to me to borrow, so I can't wait to read this one!
I was - quite fortunately really - oblivious of the situation surrounding this novel and its author until Wendy pointed it out in her review of this book on The Midnight Garden. Yet, I'm glad she chose to read it and am choosing to do so for the same reasons as her, so I'd encourage you all to take a look at her review and her commentary about the debacle this novel created which will hopefully change your mind and convince you to pick this one up, no matter how egregious the author's past mistakes may have been. (You can read Wendy's review here and her commentary just below her wonderful review!) 
I've been meaning to read this book for ages, and haven't been able to find it anywhere until one of my library recently posted an audiobook version of this online for users to listen to. I've never listened to an audiobook before, so I'm a little skeptical about how different my reading experience will be and if I'll enjoy it as much or not, but I'm so desperate to read this and am planning to give it a shot sometime soon. For those of you who read audiobooks regularly...any tips/suggestions/comments about audiobook reading? 
pic name pic name pic name
If I'm being perfectly honest, it was the author's name that originally caught my eye. I haven't read a lot of novels written by Indian authors and even less YA written by them, so I was instantly curious. I picked this up from my library and came home to find glowing reviews of it on GoodReads, so I'm very excited to read this one! 
I can't believe I haven't read this series! I've seen so many amazing things about it and it finally arrived for me in the library, after nearly a year of waiting for it on hold, so I'm going to rip into this one as soon as I can! 
I've been rather hesitant about this one for some reason - I don't even know why. Either way, I knew I just had to pick it up in the library this week since I was in the mood for some outer space/dystopian novels, so I'm really looking forward to this one. 

What new novels did you all snag this week? 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Only two more days to enter in my international giveaway and win a pre-ordered book of your choice! If you've already entered, don't forget you can win more entries by tweeting and if you haven't entered yet, go, go, go! (Enter here!)

36 comments:

  1. split is on my wishlist and i hope you like across the universe.




    were i stack my shelves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roro!(: I loved Split, so you should definitely check it out soon! :D

      Delete
  2. Aww, I'm so jealous! There's so much good stuff here! BTW, Across the Universe is among the numerous dystopia novels I'd highly recommend, so I hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace!(: Unfortunately, I wasn't a big fan of Across the Universe, so I guess I was the Black Sheep! :/

      Delete
  3. This looks like a great haul. I'm so jealous that your library has nice books! :( Still, I'll look out for your thoughts as always. I'm also jealous of how quickly you seem to read!

    I hope you enjoy your list.

    Livvy @Nerdy Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Olivia!(: I'm only reading quickly because it's summer, so once school starts, I'll slow down a looot! Anyway, I can't wait to start all these soon!

      Delete
  4. Wow some awesome books Keertana, I too grabbed a copy of If I Lie, I have been dying to read that book! But I still have to finish off Stormdancer which I am still loving! Also yay for All I ever Wanted, Sloppy Firsts and Split, all books which I can't wait to dive into, it means I will definitely have to update my stalking of you a lot more on goodreads and on here too! Happy reading hun! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I can't wait till you read If I Lie and I hope you enjoy Stormdancer! :D I'll be stalking you on GR as well with all these awesome books on your TBR-Pile! ;)

      Delete
  5. I guess this means that I need to add If I Lie to my TBR list. It looks good and I'm glad to hear it's an unexpected good book. :-)

    You are in for a treat with the Jessica Darling books! I hope you end up loving them :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, If I Lie was AMAZING! :D I loved the Jessica Darling books, so thank you for that recommendation, April! :)

      Delete
  6. I'm excited to learn that you devoured and loved If I Lie!! I hope you'll like Across the Universe. Great haul :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Henrietta!(: If I Lie was awesome, so I hope you check it out soon! :D

      Delete
  7. False Memories does sound good :)

    My Showcase Sunday

    Leah @ Uncorked Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reading it now and loving it, so thanks for stopping by, Leah! :)

      Delete
  8. Across the Universe has been on my wishlist since forever, I need to get my hands on it! The cover for Split is really interesting, I haven't heard of that one before. Happy reading! :)
    My SS:
    http://bookhi.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/showcase-sunday-4_19.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Split so I'd highly recommend that one, Zoe!(:

      Delete
  9. I'm glad Wendy addressed those issues in her review though as it sounds like False Memory isn't a novel to be skipped. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on that one, Keertana! If I Lie has been getting some great feedback lately so I'm not surprised you were impressed with it. I'm looking forward to your review! :)

    Another awesome haul for you. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam!(: If I Lie was incredible and I just started False Memory and am really loving it, so you should definitely check it out! :D

      Delete
  10. Oh, I'm so excited to hear that about If I Lie! I can't wait for that one. I've had Sloppy Firsts sitting on my dresser for ages! I really need to pick that up and read it. I loved Across the Universe, hope you do too. Great haul Keertana. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait till you read If I Lie, Rachel! I just know you'll love it! :D Plus, Sloppy Firsts is a must-read for sure!(:

      Delete
  11. Oh wow. Yesterday was the first time I'd read a review for If I Lie and it blew me away. And now reading your thoughts on it? It made you cry? Thought provoking? Phenomenal? Holy crap, why have I not paid this book the attention it deserves?!?! NEED. IMMEDIATELY.

    Very eager to check out False Memory, love the idea and I'm curious to see what you think of Across The Universe! I enjoyed it, though I still haven't got around to the sequel yet *hangs head in shame* *eyes bulge at overflowing tbr* *kicks some under bed so it looks less intimidating*

    ENJOY YOUR DELIGHTFUL NEW READS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brodie! :D I loved If I Lie, so you definitely need to check it out! I think you'll love it! Plus, False Memory sounds SO good and I'm reading it and loving it atm!(:

      Gosh, I have an overflowing TBR too, dear, so I totally understand! I hope you get around to it soon though! :D

      Delete
  12. Glad to hear that you liked If I Lie. That just makes me want to read it even more! :)

    My SS:
    http://oliviasbookaholiclife.blogspot.com/2012/08/showcase-sunday-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great books!! If I Lie sounds really good. I have been meaning to read Feed forever. I have it on my nook, but no time to get to it. I am going to get it on audio from my library too. I love that I can fit more books in that way!! I really need to read Sloppy Firsts, I have the entire series and I really have been wanting to get to it. I still haven't read Across the Universe either. Yet another book I bought and never got to lol!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I Lie and Feed were both really good, so I hope you enjoy those when you read them! Sloppy Firsts is one of those must-reads, so you just havee to get to it soon, Amy! :D

      Delete
  14. The things I heard about Feed: I can't wait to read it. Sounds scary ^^ False Memory is - from what I read - really good. And I still want to read Across the Universe.

    Nice haul and I hope you love the books!

    http://thedailyprophecy.blogspot.nl/2012/08/showcase-sunday-11-first-arc.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feed was amazing and False Memory is really good so far - I'm reading it now! Thanks, Mel!(:

      Delete
  15. Oh, great mailbox :D False Memory does sound awesome ;p Hope you enjoy everything. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved both Feed and Across the Universe. You are in for a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  17. If I Lie looks good and I've been wanting to read Sloppy Firsts for awhile now. I hope you enjoy everything!

    My IMM =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I Lie and Sloppy Firsts are both amazing, so I hope you get a chance to read them soon!(:

      Delete
  18. Hurry up and read FEEEEEEEEED. :D

    And oh, thanks for linking to my FALSE MEMORY review! I'm glad you are going to give it a chance and look forward to hearing what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read it and loooved it, Wendy! I can't wait to finish up the series! :)

      I'm reading False Memory now, so I'll let you know my thoughts on it soon! :D

      Delete

I love hearing from my readers and I read, reply, and appreciate every one of the comments I receive!(: If you're a fellow blogger, please leave a link to your blog - I'd love to drop by!

Unfortunately, this is now an award-free blog. I simply do not have the time to respond and forward on the award, but I truly appreciate the nomination regardless.