Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday (#7)

Waiting on Wednesday is a meme hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine. This meme highlights some of the books whose releases bloggers are most anticipating this year.

The book whose release I am most excited for this week is...


Title: Inhuman (Fetch #1) 
Author: Kat Falls
Release Date: March 2013
In a world ravaged by mutation, a teenage girl must travel into the forbidden Savage Zone to recover lost artifacts or her father’s life is forfeit. America has been ravaged by a war that has left the eastern half of the country riddled with mutation. Many of the people there exhibit varying degrees of animal traits. Even the plantlife has gone feral. Crossing from west to east is supposed to be forbidden, but sometimes it’s necessary. Some enter the Savage Zone to provide humanitarian relief. Sixteen-year-old Lane’s father goes there to retrieve lost artifacts—he is a Fetch. It’s a dangerous life, but rewarding—until he’s caught. Desperate to save her father, Lane agrees to complete his latest job. That means leaving behind her life of comfort and risking life and limb—and her very DNA—in the Savage Zone. But she’s not alone. In order to complete her objective, Lane strikes a deal with handsome, roguish Rafe. In exchange for his help as a guide, Lane is supposed to sneak him back west. But though Rafe doesn’t exhibit any signs of “manimal” mutation, he’s hardly civilized . . . and he may not be trustworthy.
I'll admit it - the cover of this one is less-than-truly-appealing, but I think the synopsis more than makes up for it. While the concept of rescuing a parent/sibling from danger or striking an unlikely compromise with a dangerous, yet handsome, potential love interest is, by no means, unique, I think the idea itself of a country torn apart by war and further ruined by mutation is fascinating. I've always been drawn to novels that deal exclusively with DNA or diseases and combining that with political upheaval is a sure-fire way to win me over. Yet, what strikes me the most about this story is the original occupation of a Fetch. I love the fact that the setting plays such a huge role in the basis of this job and am already eager to read more about this world Falls has created. Furthermore, I'm a sucker for the name Rafe and while there's most likely a romance between Lane and Rafe in this story, it isn't explicitly stated, which gives me hope for a creative love story. I can't wait to get my hands on this book and 6 Months+ wait for it is definitely going to either turn me inhuman, or make me willing to cross forbidden lands just to fetch this one and read it myself! ;)

28 comments:

  1. This sounds fantastic! I'm not a huge fan of the cover, but you're right, the synopsis more than makes up for that. I like the idea of a Fetch especially. I also love the name Rafe. ;) Great pick, Keertana!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam! I'm definitely excited about it - it sounds amazing! I love the name Rafe too! :)

      Delete
  2. Great pick Keertana, I only just learned of this book via the book haul memes. Just to let you know your linky is going to a WoW from June 20th...Defiance also sounds super exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katja! Gosh, I had no idea my linky was doing that - thanks for letting me know!

      Delete
  3. Hahahahaha!

    I agree, the cover isn't fantastic, but the summary is a bit intriguing. I admit I'm a bit skeptical about how good it'll be since it doesn't sound wholly original, but you're right: a Fetch is something new even if the inevitable romance isn't.

    Thanks for sharing!

    -Amelia
    My W.o.W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amelia! I do agree that the idea has been done before, but I'm hoping it'll prove to be good regardless! :)

      Delete
  4. I actually really like the cover to this one and I really like that it's not just a zombie book but has the political themes as well. Never heard of it until now, so cheers for putting it on my radar!

    New follower :)

    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jade! I'm excited about the political themes too - I'm really looking forward to those! I hope it lives up to all our expectations! :)

      Delete
  5. I have not heard of this book but I will be checking it out! Thanks for spotlighting it!

    Here is my WOW: http://paulettespapers.com/?p=2273

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what you think of this one Dani! :)

      Delete
  6. I think the color choice of the cover matches with the raw, forbidden, dangerous theme of the book. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree that the color choice perfectly matches the tone of the novel. I just wish the image was a bit different, but it's unique in its own way! :)

      Delete
  7. This one sounds really good, and I actually like the cover. Great pick. Thanks for stopping by my WoW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne! I'm glad to see you like the cover! I'm looking forward to it for sure! :)

      Delete
  8. Fantastic choice, Keertana! I can't wait to read this book either... it just looks so good, but I admit that the cover was what first caught my eye. And then, later, the synopsis, of course xD
    7 months waiting for it to come out will be TORTURE!

    Here's what I'm anticipating: http://goo.gl/wdgVL

    Have a great day! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, seven months really will be torture! I can't wait to read it though - it sounds great! :)

      Delete
  9. I'm definitely going to go inhuman waiting for this one as well! ;) I love the idea for the setting for this one- mutilation just sounds SO cool and I'm sure it'll be fascinating to learn all about that. I'm hoping it talks a bit about the DNA and everything, that would be super interesting to learn about that! I agree about the cover, it's definitely not my favorite out there. But, I am still super excited to read this one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? Mutilation and DNA always sound so fascinating and I love the concepts behind this story. I can't wait for its release! :)

      Delete
  10. Ooooo this sounds good Keertana! The cover does leave a little to be desired, it reminds me more of adult urban fantasy than YA (it is YA right?), but the blurb sounds awesome:) I'm very ready to meet Rafe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It reminded me of Adult Urban Fantasy a little too, but since the characters are teens, it seems to be YA. I can't wait for it though! I love the name Rafe, Rafa, or even Raffe - they all seem to be such swoon-worthy guys with such swoon-worthy names, so I hope Rafe in this one is the same! ;)

      Delete
  11. Boy you're willing to risk a lot for this book! Lol!! It does sound full action, danger and my favorite, romance. Great pick Keertana! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! I am willing to risk a lot! ;) I can't wait for its release though - it definitely seems to have all the necessary ingredients for a great novel, so hopefully it lives up! :D

      Delete
  12. The cover doesn't seem that appealing to me either but the premise sounds amazing! I hope it doesn't disappoint you because crossing forbidden lands is quite a feat. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Elena! Yes, I agree, it is quite a feat, but I hope this one proves to be good! :)

      Delete
  13. I love the name Rafe too!!!!!! This book sounds so exciting, especially the setting!!!!! Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! I'm really excited for it and I hope it's as good as I think it will be! :)

      Delete
  14. I actually don't mind the cover, but it does sound like a fantastic book! :)

    Great pick.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pretty cover :D I think ;) Book sounds great. :) Hope you'll enjoy it ;p
    Thank you for commenting on my WoW. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers and I read, reply, and appreciate every one of the comments I receive!(: If you're a fellow blogger, please leave a link to your blog - I'd love to drop by!

Unfortunately, this is now an award-free blog. I simply do not have the time to respond and forward on the award, but I truly appreciate the nomination regardless.