Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Young Adult Mini-Reviews: Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey & The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson


Title: Jasper Jones

Author: Craig Silvey

Rating: 3.75 Stars

Despite all the 5 Star reviews of Jasper Jones clogging up the blogosphere, Silvey's novel isn't quite worth all the hype it has garnered. Granted, it is beautifully written with realistic dialogue, complex relationships, and a plot line that is equal parts bitter and sweet. Moreover, its prose is stunning, quiet and reflective without dragging the novel down. Within the pages of Jasper Jones lurks a shocking small town secret, an achingly sweet first love, and a realistically unfair portrayal of life in all its highs and lows. It does, admittedly, get off to a bit of a slow start, but once it hits its stride, Jasper Jones is impossible to set down. And yet, I will not be re-visiting the world of Jasper Jones the way I lovingly re-read the pages of Melina Marchetta's novels. As such, take my advice: lower your expectations for this novel and prepare to be, very pleasantly, surprised. You'll thank me later.

Title: The Impossible Knife of Memory 

Author: Laurie Halse Anderson 

Rating: 4 Stars

The Impossible Knife of Memory is impeccably told through the narration of Haley, a protagonist whose voice has just a touch of cynicism in it, thrown in with a scoop of sarcasm and a whole big bucket of survivalist instincts. Haley's father, a war veteran suffering from severe PTSD, is hardly equipped to take care of her, let alone keep a job. Nevertheless, he insists that Haley have a "normal" life, ending their years on the road while Haley learns to navigate the zombied existence of a high school teenager. Anderson's latest is not easy to read, however. Haley's relationship with her father is tenuous and fragile, a careful construct of one step forward just as quickly as two steps backward inevitably follow. Moreover, high school is no walk in the park for Haley. While she makes friends and snags Finn - an absolutely sweet, nerdy, and handsome swimmer - her schoolwork comes second to her father. As do her relationships, unfortunately.

The Impossible Knife of Memory is a beautifully written tale of growing up and, most importantly, facing the harsh realities of life even when we need to see the world through rose-tinted glasses. I did find myself disappointed by the ending of this novel, which wrapped up events a little too neatly for my liking. Still, I can't not love a book that contains swoon-worthy math pick-up lines, exemplary teenage driving, and features a genuine college application process (complete with college visits AND the essay prompts for the 2013-2014 application year!). And, if you needed any more motivation to read this novel: it's written by Laurie Halse Anderson. You simply cannot go wrong with her.

17 comments:

  1. I checked out Jasper Jones from my library, knowing nothing but it's an Aussie novel. I'm a little intrigued to find out what has gotten all high ratings for this book, although my expectation is not high.
    The impossible knife of memory sounds like raw and difficult to read yet a poignant one.Protagonist with sarcasm, count me in for such reads. I really need to read this book. Lovely reviews, Keertana!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been meaning to read something by Anderson, but never enough time

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen a whole lot of mixed reviews on The Impossible Knife of Memory--but I'm glad that you really liked it!

    Lovely reviews, Keertana! <33

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your comment about Anderson's accurate portrayal of the college application process made me laugh. My little sister is going through it and it's just as horrible as I remember. Novels and movies often times make it seem like something that just happens, poof! Magic! You've applied! When really it's a long journey.

    Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't read the first but the Anderson book was interesting, not something I've read before. I didn't love it but I did root for the characters. The ending, yeah, it was a bit too neatly wrapped up for issues that can't really be wrapped up easily.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still need to read something by Laurie Halse Anderson, I can't believe I haven't yet! And now of course you've teased with the mention of math pick-up lines, so I have no choice but to read because I need to know what they are! Glad The Impossible Knife of Memory worked so well for you Keertana!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to get my hands on The Impossible Knife of Memory , it does sound like a beautifully written book from the glimpse I had of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have The Impossible Knife on audiobook to listen to in the car starting, I think, next week. Very, very excited, because flaws like a tidy ending are less noticeable (for me) in that format.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have heard most amazing things about Jasper Jones and honestly I think I'll do just what you told me. I'll lower my expectations because they're too high. I'm glad you enjoyed it and the writing sounds really good.
    When it comes to Laurie - I have read several of her books and every time I'm amazed with her portrayal of high school. She makes it so real and I can see that here the relationship between father and daughter is hard to read about.
    Great mini-reviews, Keertana :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These both sound wonderful! I do try to lower my expectations before reading a book that the blogosphere raves about, but I don't know if I can do that with Anderson. I will try to remember that about the ending so I won't be so disappointed. I also don't like it when the endings come in too convenient packages.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I suppose I've been hiding under a rock as I've never even heard of Jasper Jones. Not sure what to think about reading it. But I do love your review of Laurie H. Andersen's novel. I do agree you can't go wrong with her and I am so glad you liked this one. It's definitely one I'll pick up in the future, though, like you, I hate tidy endings that seem rushed. Great reviews Keertana!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, first, how have I not heard of Jasper Jones before? Is it a new book? Now I'm going to have to go and look it up because I have no idea at all what it's about. You mentioned MM so maybe it's an Aussie book. You're always finding those. Second, great review of the Anderson book. So tough to read in places, raw and real about what it's like to live with someone post war suffering from PTSD. I LOVED Finn so much and Haley's relationship with him. I get what you're saying about the end, but I also love the happy ones so it worked for me. This was actually my first Anderson book. Shocking! I need to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love these mini reviews, K:)

    First off I guess I have been under a rock because I haven't heard of Jasper Jones (not to be confused with artist Jasper JOHNS--is that fact brought up in the book, btw?) but I have to say--from a strictly unprofessional standpoint--I'd probably read it just because that boy on the cover is ADORABLE. Messy-headed boys drinking coffee FTW! :)

    I really want to read The Impossible Knife of Memory--my library carries a good selection of Laura Halse Anderson's book's so I am hoping they'll stock it soon. I have heard it's a powerful read--as all of her books are. I wouldn't know. I have NEVER READ ONE. I'm such a poor excuse for a book blogger...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've heard amazing things about Laure Halse Anderson's books. This does sound beautiful, and I'm glad to hear it was beautifully written. Fab mini reviews, Keertana!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. After reading so many great reviews of The Impossible Knife of Memory I'm finally going to cave and add it to my TBR. I hate when a books ending is tied up too neatly that it's unbelievable. Good to know you still enjoyed it despite the ending =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am still yet to read JJ, despite having two copies. I have to say I'm expecting good, but not great, things from it.

    And yes, TIKoM was so beautiful, but I think I felt similarly about the ending.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers and I read, reply, and appreciate every one of the comments I receive!(: If you're a fellow blogger, please leave a link to your blog - I'd love to drop by!

Unfortunately, this is now an award-free blog. I simply do not have the time to respond and forward on the award, but I truly appreciate the nomination regardless.