Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Review: Flame by Amy Kathleen Ryan


Title: Flame

Author: Amy Kathleen Ryan

Rating: 4 Stars

I find I don't have very much to say about Flame. From the moment I put down my copies of both Glow and Spark, it was as if my fingers were possessed, desperately needing to type, to crow in glory, to shove this series into the hands of every unsuspecting bibliophile. After Flame, however, I remember sitting. Simply sitting, soaking up the lingering words in my mind. I was - and still am - very much shocked by the brilliance of this concluding installment. While I may not have much to regale about this novel - not without giving away spoilers, at any rate - Flame has been one of the few satisfying conclusions I've read in a very, very long time and I suspect it might remain that way for awhile to come.

Compared to its predecessors, Flame is a much slower novel than Glow or Spark were. And rightfully so. After the bitterness of violation, the anger of rebellion, the closed fist of anarchy, and the open strike of betrayal, these characters are exhausted. Kiernan and Waverly are now on the New Horizon, back under the influence of Anne Mather. Or are they? When Waverly meets an old doctor on board the New Horizon, she agrees to help him take down Anne Mather but, soon enough, she begins to question just who is the true enemy aboard the New Horizon. Meanwhile, Seth is - once again - a fugitive aboard a space ship, only this time it's the New Horizon. While he receives help from a small group of rebels aboard the New Horizon, his health is slowly deteriorating. All aboard on the same ships, friends and enemies alike, these teens don't know where - or who - to turn to. Despite having their parents back, they have been brainwashed by Mather and follow her blindly. Which means that, once again, Waverly, Kiernan, and Seth are alone. Only, this time, if they don't stop the evil aboard the New Horizon once and for all, they might not get another chance.

What makes Flame such a spectacular sequel is the fact that it stresses ideals such as redemption, friendship, and love. After writing such a bloodthirsty, violent series, Ryan comes back to these core values in a manner that never feels jarring but one that, rather, slips into the story line perfectly. Waverly and Kiernan, despite the differences they've shared, learn to set those aside and work together for the first time since their break-up. While they, along with Seth, try to infiltrate the New Horizon from within, though, they are no longer as convinced of Mather's cruelty as they once were. As they learn, Mather is not the only tyrant aboard the New Horizon. Escaped convicts from the prisons of the Empyrean have made it back to the New Horizon with the intent of wrecking havoc and Waverly's doctor has a following of adults who don't seem wholly trustworthy. Although these multiple villains may seem to overwhelm the plot, in reality they paint a picture of different kinds of evil. Mather has always been a villain with an extraordinary amount of depth and her gray matter is explored in even more detail within this installment. Although the other "villains" in this conclusion do not share the same degree of depth that Mather does, they nevertheless contribute to the slow, but constant, build-up to the climax of this tale.

As far as the plot goes, Flame is impeccable. It forces Waverly, Kiernan, and Seth to reach new heights as characters - areas from which they are able to look past the injustices done to them and the anger they feel. Ryan has truly made these teens transcend their barriers and the bumps they experience along the road are realistic. Additionally, this novel wraps up perfectly too. Ultimately, there are sacrifices that must be made and bittersweet separations as well, but I ended this novel utterly satisfied. While Flame is the most romantic installment to-date, its love stories never overwhelm the focus of the story. Although these romances remain minimal, they are heartfelt, equal, and true which I appreciated. Moreover, and perhaps best of all for me, is the fact that every loose thread is tied up, albeit not always in ways we want. Seth, Waverly, and Kiernan don't find the answers to all their questions, but they find enough to live by. Ryan has always been impeccably realistic, to the point of harshness, in this series and I loved that her stance on realism was never compromised in this finale.

Ever-so-slightly bittersweet, achingly romantic, heart-pounding action, and an influx of complex moral situations made this a conclusion to love. Amy Kathleen Ryan: write something else amazing! Quick!

13 comments:

  1. Ahhh! I didn't know the conclusion to this series had come out. I've really enjoyed the whole thing though, yeah, the characters are absolutely exhausted. Hell, anyone would be. I love/hate the "I don't know who to trust" plotline -- frustrating but awesome at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to go and have a look at book 1

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! It seems like so many final installments lately have been huge disappointments for longtime fans of the series, so I'm glad you were so pleased with this one Keertana! I have yet to read any of the books in this series which is clearly a mistake, so on to the list it goes. I'm going to be a fan of anything called "achingly romantic" I think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard amazing things about this author and both Glow and Spark but haven't read any of it. I'll have to change that. Anyhow I'm so glad that you enjoyed Flame so much. It means a lot when final installment brings you so much joy and not bitter taste. Great review, Keertana :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I skimmed through the review, since reading that this might be the last book in the series and I haven't even started the first but wow! absolutely wonderful to hear that the author stayed true to herself and delivered an ending that didn't make you want to throw the book against the wall like some other's have ended. Now I am looking forward to reading this series!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thrilled to hear this finale was satisfying for you! I've read a few very disappointing series conclusions recently, and I've been left feeling devastated, like the author squandered my goodwill and time. Hearing Flame is a worthy, well-written ending is all the more incentive for me to catch up on this series. Beautiful review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have waited on this series because of the cliffhangers and now it is time to pick it up. It seems that we are reaching the end of a bunch of series and some are not panning out. I am so happy that this one is well done and that it satisfied you. I must get it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always heard brilliant things about this series but I've never had the mind to actually pick them at all. It is true there is very few that you find that is brilliant concluding ending. I can probably count on one hand for the series I've had where I've thought or sat, and felt completely content and at ease to know what the characters will be doing. Sorry rambling. Hehe. Lovely review, Keertana. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet! I always worry about a final installment. They usually disappoint. So glad this ends well. Gah! I need to get all 3!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Finally! And of course I haven't even glanced at this series. I think I got sent a copy of the first book about the same time I started reading Across the Universe and I never tried it, Sci-Fi, being a scary thing to me back then. Guess I should dig that ARC off the shelf!
    Fire first.

    I am so glad you were satisfied with this ending. It really is such a let down when the final book does not live up to the series, when it doesn't do it justice.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  11. Man. I am one of those people who needs to have this shoved in my hands, because I still haven't gotten around to reading GLOW yet! I remember waffling because of the mixed reviews I was seeing, but knowing that you, super picky about scifi you, enjoyed the series makes me want to pick this up as soon as possible. Thanks for the nudge! It has to be a great series if you have this positive a reaction after all three books.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad this worked so well for you! I've been struggling with it, but I suspect it's mostly my fault... I've been sick and I can't seem to focus on anything. It was clear from the third I've read that the quality of Ryan's writing remains unchanged and that she still knows how to put her characters in impossible situations. I'll finish this the second I'm feeling better. It takes a lot of mental energy, which I currently don't have.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, wow. Your love for this book (and this series) just resonates through your reviews, and it's really infectious! I seriously need to give these books a go. Lovely thoughts, Keertana!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers and I read, reply, and appreciate every one of the comments I receive!(: If you're a fellow blogger, please leave a link to your blog - I'd love to drop by!

Unfortunately, this is now an award-free blog. I simply do not have the time to respond and forward on the award, but I truly appreciate the nomination regardless.