Saturday, February 22, 2014

Review: A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin


Title: A Clash of Kings (A Song of Fire and Ice, #2)

Author: George R. R. Martin

Rating: 4 Stars

Note: This review does NOT contain any spoilers for the previous novel in this series but if you'd like to read my thoughts on Book 1, you can see them HERE

Tyrion = Epic Genius of All Time

While his one-liners were the highlight of GoT, he basically stole the show in this book. And yes, I totally cheered for a Lannister... :P

It's the last third of this novel that has me thirsting for SoS. Not only was it fast-paced and full of unexpected plot twists, but it's made me anxious for the outcome these characters will face. Admittedly, I found a handful of narrative voices in this novel to be dragged out unnecessarily, but the political intrigue more than made up for that, as did the character growth and unique spins Martin puts on certain issues. Needless to say, I'm VERY curious to see how a lot of events are going to play out in the sequel. (Seriously, ALL the Stark children...just give them a break already, Martin!)

What  makes A Clash of Kings stand out, for me at least, however, is the sheer level of atmosphere Martin creates. Although there are multiple perspectives in this novel, all of them taking place in different locations throughout Westeros, they possess distinct voices. Moreover, these transitions are practically seamless as Martin manages to transport readers from the South all the way to North of the Wall without batting an eyelid or causing confusion. While this method of story-telling may seem to yield a detachment from the characters, it never detracts from the emotional ties Martin creates.

And yet, the best aspect of this novel lies in the individual challenges these characters face. All of them are distinctly different and although the magnitude of their difficulties may seem to vary, they are each large and forbidding to their respective character. Martin creates plot lines that not only serve to further his story, but also serve to challenge his characters in a manner that is unique to them. Moreover, he plays with the concept of power in more than just political, kingly ways, offering his characters moral choices that present a plethora of other dilemmas. Once again, it is this aspect of the series that, undoubtedly, makes it so famous and well-known. Martin takes risks, not only with his plot, but also in forcing his characters to transcend their barriers in realistic terms. Needless to say, I'm practically on pins and needles to find out what more he has in store for them.

13 comments:

  1. I gave up somewhere along the line, hated Daeny too much, too icky

    ReplyDelete
  2. His writing is amazing and I do agree, he does take a lot of risks but in the end it seems to pay off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I love that you loved the second book. I have the first book on audio because a friend recommended it. I'm a bit intimidated by the page count but I'm thinking that if it is that exciting, I might want the book. Either way, I am going to read these. I can't wait!! Excellent spoiler free review!! As always you make me want to run to Wal-Mart and get this!! (I think these are mass market :)

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been meaning to pick up this series for ages! I only know vaguely of what it is about, so better go check the synopsis again. I'm glad you loved this one.

    Brilliant review, Keertana! <33

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this series!!!!! "You know nothing, Jon Snow" is my favourite book quote ever. I've read them all and have spent the last 2 years waiting for The Winds of Winter. The suspense is killing me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many people love these books and the show as well. I've heard Martin pulls no punches, though and this series can get pretty brutal and heart wrenching. I'm still debating on whether to pick it up. Wonderful review, Keertana! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been wanting to read this series but I am worried about too much violence and gore, it is it or not?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @BURIED IN BOOKS: Heather, these are available quite cheaply as Mass Market Paperbacks and knowing that you enjoy fantasy, I don't think you'll have any problem with the page count on these. I've also heard great reviews of the audio versions - I'm thinking of trying them myself - so you should be good on that format too. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Melanie: It's basically a high fantasy series with lots of politics as different men around the land fight for the throne. I make it sound dull, but it really isn't - you should definitely read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Monique: Gosh, I love that line too! And TWO YEARS? I don't think I could wait that long. I'll probably finish the series out this year, so Winds of Winter better be out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Rachel: Yup, that's about right - ALL the punches! It's an emotional series, but I really enjoy that aspect of it, and I know you don't pick up a lot of high fantasy, so maybe try the show first to see if it appeals to you? I think you might find yourself enjoying it, but then again, I can't imagine anyone NOT liking this series - it's just so accessible and intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Heidi: I don't think there's TOO much violence and gore, but I have a pretty good stomach for that sort of thing. It deals with war and politics, though, so if be-headings and battles aren't your cup of tea, not to mention slavery or prostitution, I'd steer clear of both the books and show. I think the show is a LOT more violent and sexual than the books are since the bulk of the books focus more on battle strategy than actual battle or political conversation opposed to action, but from reading the books, I wouldn't say there's an excessive amount of violent and gore. When it's necessary to the plot, it's there, but it isn't thrown in just for shock factor.

    ReplyDelete
  13. While I really enjoyed the first two seasons of this series I actually never bothered to read the series. This series in general has so many ideas that aren't typical and I don't enjoy reading about prostitution and incest either, still I'm sure it's much better than series. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Great review, Keertana :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers and I read, reply, and appreciate every one of the comments I receive!(: If you're a fellow blogger, please leave a link to your blog - I'd love to drop by!

Unfortunately, this is now an award-free blog. I simply do not have the time to respond and forward on the award, but I truly appreciate the nomination regardless.