Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Mini-Review: Plain Kate by Erin Bow


Title: Plain Kate 

Author: Erin Bow

Rating: 2.5 Stars 

Plain Kate is, quite honestly, just not the book for me. I know a countless number of my friends and most trusted reviewers have absolutely adored this tale, but despite being an ardent fantasy lover, I somehow could not get into it. Bow's debut follows the tale of Plain Kate, a tale of woe for every time something bad happens to her, something worse is waiting just around the corner. Kate is orphaned at a young age and after her father's age, she struggles to survive in their town where everyone believes she is a witch. When Linay, an evil albino wizard, comes to town, he offers her a wish and whatever provisions she may want in exchange for her shadow. Kate, not knowing the seriousness of this bargain, agrees, only to have her life take a turn for the worse - yet again.

While many readers found this story to be vastly intriguing, I thought it was rather boring. In fact, the first hundred or so pages can probably be skimmed entirely since nothing much happens. Furthermore, the writing that so captivated others rendered me unable to connect with any of the characters. It made me feel aloof and distant from the story itself and while beautiful to be sure, I didn't enjoy it and felt it didn't work well with the novel. Perhaps my biggest qualm, however, is Kate herself. Throughout the novel, Kate only becomes tougher and stronger, but her experiences never truly change her or make her orient herself and her life in different directions. In addition, as I mentioned before, I was unable to connect with her and feel much but sympathy for her life.

Overall, Plain Kate isn't a novel I can recommend, but it is one I advise any fantasy reader to give a chance. I am in the minority when it comes to this piece and can only hope that other readers love it unlike I have. Nevertheless, I will admit that if Erin Bow decides to write a young adult fantasy novel next, one that is a little more sophisticated and with older characters, I'll be itching to get my hands on it for sure. Bow is an author whose works I am bound to love - I can just feel it.

17 comments:

  1. What a shame, it's always disappointing to go into a book that friends have loved, only to find that you don't feel the same. I haven't heard of this, but I adore the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not connecting with or liking the main protagonist can be the source factor that determines whether we like a book or not, as I've experienced many times. And although I've seen plenty of positive reviews for this and still plan to read it (I'm a hopeless cause for fantasy books with cats as the side-kick, haha!) I'll definitely keep your dissenting opinion in my mind. Splendid review, love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I'm sorry you didn't like this book. But yeah. I so understand why you didn't. I like this cover, though :) But yeah. Not reading this book :) Thank you for sharing your honest review sweetie :D
    Thank you for commenting on my mailbox. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't heard of Erin Bow or Plain Kate before; it's a shame you didn't enjoy it, but pretty positive to feel the author's got enough talent to try some of their other works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hah! Well, if the writing isn't immersive and the story isn't caprivating, there really isn't much else to say! I remember Catie liking this one, but she was pretty much the only one and she's extremely patient.
    I doubt this is a bok for me. Aside from a few books, we tend to enjoy the same things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry this one didn't quite work for you Keertana, but you like what you like you know? There have been a couple books I've read where it seems like every person that's read it has loved it, and I get to it and just can't connect to the characters. Hate it when that happens:(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, sorry this one isn't what you hoped for. I hope your next one is better.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry this one didn't work for you. I hate when I go into a book with positive recommendations from trusted bloggers and it disappoints me. Hopefully another work of Erin's will resonate better with you down the road! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know how you feel when you read a book that everyone else loved... that happened to me with Unspoken. I am a patient reader but perhaps all the woe won't be for me. I know I don't have time to check it out right now either way so it isn't an issue. THanks for being honest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate being in the minority of reviewers too, especially when a book has received so many gushing reviews from people's whose opinion you trust, but then the book ends up falling flat for you. It's a bit how I felt about Night Beach, I'm glad I had you by my side then! But at least you gave this book a try! I'm sure there's plenty more fantasy books out there for you to fall in love with! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's unfortunate that this didn't work out for you. I hate it when books go on for what seems like forever and nothing happens. I feel like I'm wasting my time. Wonderful review Keertana. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved this book but I know the feeling about feeling in the minority when not liking a book. I didn't like Where Things Come (or was it When Things Come Back?) but it seems like the entire world RAVED about it. Then I gave ut to someone and they strongly disliked it too. I kinda felt better knowing I wasn't just an idiot. At least not the ONLY idiot. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a shame this one didn't click with you. My library has a copy and I thought about giving it a try but maybe I'll hold off for now. I did hear good things about the cat though! I appreciate your honest review, K:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry this one didn't work for you, Keertana! Now you have me nervous. Like you, I've heard mostly absolute praise for this book, so I'm surprised when it falls so flat for such an avid fantasy fan. I do still plan to give it a go at some point, but I might not go in ready to be swept away!

    ReplyDelete
  15. But how can a story with an evil albino wizard be boring?! Is that even possible?

    I am really surprised to see this, because like you, so many of my friends LOVE this book and recommended it to me. I'm sorry it was a disappointment, but I must say I'm grateful to have read your review. Always better to temper expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  16. mncdq [url=http://drdrebeatsonlinesale.co.uk]beats by dre outlet[/url] sownk http://drdrebeatsonlinesale.co.uk cpowa [url=http://beatsdrdresales.co.uk]by dre beats[/url] geabk http://beatsdrdresales.co.uk dqmny [url=http://drdrebeatsonlinestores.co.uk]beats by dre[/url] ssnhc http://drdrebeatsonlinestores.co.uk oujoj [url=http://cheapbeatsdrdreonlinesale.com]beats by dre[/url] sjzys http://cheapbeatsdrdreonlinesale.com zjyxq [url=http://beatsbydrdreshopping.com]cheap beats by dre[/url] voyis http://beatsbydrdreshopping.com tuopc [url=http://beatsbydrdreoutletforsale.com]beats outlet[/url] mrahf http://beatsbydrdreoutletforsale.com hvxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I will always remember this book, not just for the fairy tale that was dazzling to read but for the book as a whole and it will be one of the 5 that I read over and over and over again until the pages are dog-earred and dirty.
    Top Bankruptcy Chicago Attorneys

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers and I read, reply, and appreciate every one of the comments I receive!(: If you're a fellow blogger, please leave a link to your blog - I'd love to drop by!

Unfortunately, this is now an award-free blog. I simply do not have the time to respond and forward on the award, but I truly appreciate the nomination regardless.