Tuesday, January 1, 2013

110+ Books I Have Every Intention of Reading...

Happy New Year! I hope this year brings you all happiness, prosperity, and tons and tons of wonderful books that bring a smile to your face! :) 

I decided to kick-start the year with a list of books I truly do have every intention of reading. We all have those books we're ashamed to admit we haven't read or desperately want to read and don't have the time to, so I figured I'd at least try to cross a few of those off my list this time around. I probably have an equally long list of books I want to read this year, primarily consisting of debuts and sequels being released, but I decided to limit myself to novels that have already released and that I want to desperately read as well. I stole the idea for this from The Readventurer's 110+ Books I Have Every Intention of Reading Next and was inspired by their post to make one of my own, so...here goes!

First up I have a list of Aussie novels I desperately want to tackle. Of course, I don't actually have most of them, but I'll find a way to get my hands on them...

1. Friday Brown by Vikki Wakefield
2. I'll Tell You Mine by Pip Harry
3. Fury by Shirley Marr
4. Six Impossible Things by Fiona Wood
5. The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf by Ambelin Kwaymullina
6. Preloved by Shirley Marr
7. The Wrong Boy by Suzy Zail
8. Cinnamon Rain by Emma Cameron
9. Pan's Whisper by Sue Lawson
10. Love Notes from Vinegar House by Karen Tayleur
11. Night Creatures Series by Marianne de Pierres
12. Underdogs Trilogy by Markus Zusak
13. Abhorsen Trilogy by Garth Nix
14. Clara in Washington by Penny Tangey

Next is a list of series I've already started and need to finish. I'm one of those people who usually zips through a series once I start it, but in some cases, I can't find the next book or the sequel still has to be released, so here are some that I really want to read this year, if not very soon.

15. Feed Trilogy by Mira Grant (2 Behind)
16. Sevenwaters Series by Juliet Marillier (4 Behind)
17. Dublin Murder Squad Series by Tara French (3 Behind)
18. Kate Daniels World by Ilona Andrews (1 Behind)
19. Dairy Queen Trilogy by Catherine Gilbery Murdock (1 Behind)
20. Dani O'Malley (Fever Spin-Off Series) by Karen Marie Moning (1 Behind)
21. Fire and Thorns Trilogy by Rae Carson (1 Behind)
22. Delirium Trilogy by Lauren Oliver (1 Behind)
23. The Edge Series by Ilona Andrews (2 Behind)

Well...that wasn't a very long list, but the list of series I do want to start unfortunately is: 
24. Bloodlines by Richelle Mead 
25. Song of Fire and Ice by George R. R. Martin
26. Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss 
27. Partials Series by Dan Wells 
28. The Amber House Trilogy by Kelly Moore 
29. The Adoration of Jenna Fox Trilogy by Mary E. Pearson
30. Legend Trilogy by Marie Lu 
31. Song of the Lioness by Tamora Pierce 
32. The Girl Who Circumnavigated Faeryland by Catherynne M. Valente 
33. Robert Langdon Trilogy by Dan Brown 
34. The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson 
35. Outlander Series by Dianna Gabaldon
36. Dreamblood Series by N.K. Jemison 
37. The Wallflowers Series by Lisa Kleypas
38. Ender's Saga by Orson Scott Card
39. Charley Davidson by Darynda Jones 
40. Ship Breaker Series by Paolo Bacigalupi
41. Sirantha Jax by Ann Aguirre
42. Crown and Court by Sherwood Smith
43. Shades of London by Maureen Johnson
44. The Native Star Series by M.K. Hobson
45. Chaos Walking Series by Patrick Ness
46. Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan 
47. Ashbury High Series by Jaclyn Moriarty 
48. Reapers Series by Alden Bell
49. October Daye Series by Seanan McGuire
50. Books of Faerie by Maggie Stiefvater 

Yeah...a lot of series to start, eh? I, thankfully, enjoy stand-alones even more than series, so now for a list of stand-alones that I hope to tackle sometime soon, especially since I keep hearing how brilliant they all are! 

51. Life of Pi by Yann Martel 
52. Madapple by Christina Meldrum
53. Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey 
54. Lovely, Dark, and Deep by Amy McNamara 
55. No and Me by Delphine de Vigan 
56. The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
57. Paper Towns by John Green 
58. Ask the Passengers by A. S. King
59. Please Excuse Vera Dietz by A. S. King
60. Gone Girl by Jillian Flynn
61. The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh
62. Sweethearts by Sara Zarr
63. How to Save a Life by Sara Zarr
64. Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
65. Drowning Instinct by Ilsa J. Bick
66. Graveminder by Melissa Marr
67. Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey
68. The Lost Conspiracy by Frances Hardinge
69. Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone by Kat Rosenfield
70. Okay for Now by Gary D. Schmidt
71. Cracked Up to Be by Courtney Summers 
72. A Face Like Glass by Frances Hardinge
73. The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer 
74. Between Shades of Grey by Rita Supetys
75. Small Damages by Beth Kephart
76. Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor
77. Lucid by Adrienne Stoltz
78. The City's Son by Tom Pollock
79. Alif the Unseen by Willow G. Wilson
80. Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay
81. Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott
82. Dead to You by Lisa McMann
83. Sisters in Sanity by Gayle Forman

We all have our favorite authors and we have authors whose every novel we've read and will continue to read, so here's a list of the authors I desperately need to read or need to finishing reading ALL of their works - because they're just that good.

84. China Mieville
85. Alison Goodman 
86. Rachel Neumeier
87. Juliet Marillier
88. Courtney Summers
89. John Green 
90. Diana Wynne Jones
91. Khaled Hosseini

I never get to read a whole lot of classics every year, so I doubt I'll get to these within the next decade knowing me and the amount of inner persuasion it takes for me to sit down with a classic, but I do hope to read all these for sure sometime: 

92. The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway 
93. The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham
94. Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
95. Lolita by Vladimir Nobokov
96. 1984 by George Orwell
97. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyesky
98. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey 
99. All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
100. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
101. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
102. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy 

Last, but not least, a few novels that were recommended to me by dear friends and which I'm sure I'll love:
103. The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher
104. Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley
105. Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson
106. The Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri
107. Maze Runner by James Dashner 
108. Wonder by R.J. Palacio
109. Ultraviolet by R.J. Anderson
110. The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour

Numerically speaking, 110 books isn't a lot. After all, I read roughly 300 books a year, so I should be able to finish this whole list by the end of this year, but I can't. In between these novels, I have review copies, sequels releasing this year, new debut novels to pick up, not to mention that when I add all the series books together, I have nearly 200 books, and with classics that take a good month to read, I'll probably only read all of these by 2015/2016. Still, I wanted to share this list with you all because - admit it - we all wish we had more time to read, and especially more time to read those books that we're told are brilliant. Thus, perhaps I'll take on fewer review copies this year and truly get more "older" reading accomplished...we'll see! What are some of the books that you have every intention of reading? 

17 comments:

  1. That's so many books. This year my goal is to read half of the books I buy. I have ove 50+ just sitting there waiting. I also want to finish series that I've started. I have this thing where I read the first book, but find reasons to drag my feet when it comes to sequels because of fear of not liking them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh, lovely! I would never dare to make one of these, I might go blind, or faint, or loose my will to read altogether. I see so many books I'm excited for you to read, The Sky Is Everywhere being number one among them. But I don't see The Space Between by Brenna Yovanoff anywhere and I can't seem to remember if you've read it or not, but I have a feeling you might like it. It's one of my all-time faves, I simply adore it.
    I've joined the tbr challenge on Kimba's blog for March, perhaps you could join too. :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh, lovely! I would never dare to make one of these, I might go blind, or faint, or loose my will to read altogether. I see so many books I'm excited for you to read, The Sky Is Everywhere being number one among them. But I don't see The Space Between by Brenna Yovanoff anywhere and I can't seem to remember if you've read it or not, but I have a feeling you might like it. It's one of my all-time faves, I simply adore it.
    I've joined the tbr challenge on Kimba's blog for March, perhaps you could join too. :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also have so many books that I want to read that have been released too. Awesome list! I hope to read the book you recommended awhile ago, Through the Ever Night, this year.
    I hope you have a chance to read the Ausbury High and Bloodline series, they are both amazing in my opinion. And A Thousand Splendid Suns is a splendid book and is part of the small books that made me cry. Love how you choose to feature its beautiful cover!
    Good luck reading the books on your list Keertana! Happy New Year!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a lot of books.

    I want to try to read 300 books this year as well.

    As for your books, I loved Anne Of Green Gables, A Thousand Splendid Suns AND Sabriel.

    You're in for a treat even if you read just 10 of the books listed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keertana, when I saw the title of this post, I thought you would just be figuratively listing out 110 books you wanted to read, not actually list 110! ;) But there are so many books on this list that I want to get to as well. I have no doubt that you will be able to reach your goal of 300 books, and get all of these read as well! =)

    I totally need to pick up Bloodlines, I have a copy of it and everything. The Adoration of Jenna Fox looks so unique and original, and that's another book that I absolutely must pick up! But you have to pick up Legend sometime soon, Keertana. I think you'd enjoy it, even though there are some lacking aspects, although I've heard the sequel is much better. ;)

    I also want to pick up a few classics this year. I avoid classics like the plague, but they're classics for a reason, right? So I think I may have to pick up a few and try them out. I wish you luck in reading some more of those older books!

    Fantabulous list, Keertana. Good luck reading all of these and have a fantastic new year! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list! There are so many awesome books here. I hope you enjoy the Charley Davidson and Shades of London series when you start them :)

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have no idea how excited I was to see that you'd written one of these posts. I like how compartmentalized they are in terms of cutting the reading list up into groupings of WHY you want to read them. I am only at about 15 right now but I have about 10 of them out from the library and I own about 40 or 50 of my list books so I really want to make a dent early in 2013.

    Beware the series, though, because they keep releasing new books! :) I've already caught up on two series and then fell behind again, and that's just in one year!

    There's something oddly appealing about your list of authors whose work you want to finish off--every one but Neumeier has a double letter in their name.

    The one thing that these lists always makes me want to do is tell you how exciting some of the books you've chosen are. And the ones you can finish quickly to cross off.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You just reminded me that I want to reread the Abhorsen series. Let's do a readalong once you do get them (which will be easier to do since they're available in North America) and speaking of Australian authors, why do you not have Alison Croggon on your list? Since you like fantasy, I'm pretty certain you will like her Pellinor series. It has a YA protagonist but it's probably the most grownup YA high fantasy that I have read. Actually, I want to reread that one too. And Jaclyn Moriarty is all kinds of awesome and she has a new book coming out soon - which sounds fantastic. Her last Ashbury book was...just nothing short of brilliant. I've decided to read a lot more adult books this year, I don't know why.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic list! I really want to go out, buy you all the Aussie ones and send them to you like now! Whenever you want to, let's talk doing a book swap or something or I will bring some books with me in May/June :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man, Keertana! All these books sound wonderful. I don't even know where to begin. Of course I'm totally with you on Kate Daniels. Loving that! I love all the covers you chose to feature. So pretty. Sirantha Jax is another UF I must start. Good luck with your challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are so many on here I desperately want you to read but I'm not sure where to start. The Native Star and The Sky is Everywhere are two you MUST read!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. Keertana, what a list! haha.

    The Abhorsen trilogy is rather brilliant! I adored it, so I hope you enjoy it when you get your hands on it.

    Legend, Song of Ice and Fire, and Walking Chaos are three series I want to start. I started A Game of Thrones last year, but had to put it on hold because it's so long.

    Still, what a whopping list. I very well may have to steal this list idea from you because it sounds a brilliant way to make a list of things I want to read. haha.

    Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohh. Long list! :D I hope you get to read at least very many of these books. <3 I might have at least a double list of books I have to read, that I own (A) Hih. But yeah. I very much want to read that Forbidden book. The heartbreaking evil one that everyone is talking about. Hoping to do so soon :) And ohhh. The Game of Thrones books I very much need to read :D Hope you'll get to those as well ;) Enjoy reading :D
    Love, Carina

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW--what an undertaking this list must have been, Keertana! Well done! I really want to start The Native Star series as well-- let me know when you do, maybe we can read it together! And I cannot wait until you read The Sky is Everywhere, Just One Day and Small Damages because I think you are SO going to love them! And I really want to read Lolita by Nabakov too! Never have and have always wanted to so that one goes on my list as well! Do you really read 300 books a year?? Holy Cow! You are a MACHINE! I think you will have no problem accomplishing this little goal of 110+ books then!:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have you never read the ANNE OF GREEN GABLES series? That is a MUST. There are so many books on this list that it's hard for me to even know how to comment. Many I want to read as well, many I would recommend. Definitely THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE. Also loved THE INTERPRETER OF MALADIES (that's a series of short stories). LIFE OF PI, I loved, and it is great for a discussion. But it did drag in places and isn't everyone's cup of tea. I have not read THE PAINTED VEIL, but saw the movie and thought it was incredibly moving. Would love to read the book. Oh and I keep hearing such wonderful things about WHERE THINGS COME BACK, it is definitely on my list for the year. I will be following your progress for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, 100 books is quite a goal (and almost my entire to-read list, haha)! We have to finish the Dairy Queen trilogy! And the Dublin Murder Squad series eventually, haha. ;) I HIGHLY recommend the Song of the Lioness series, I read them as a youngster and loved them all. Madapple, The Snow Child, How to Save a Life are all utterly beautiful and some of my fave reads! Drowning Instinct, Cracked Up to Be, Drowning Instinct, Ultraviolet and Anne of Green Gables are all phenomenal too(a HUGE thumbs up for the last one!!)

    I hope you get the opportunity to read all these books, Keertana! There are a bunch of precious gems in there. :) I also loved you sorted everything into different sections, btw.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers and I read, reply, and appreciate every one of the comments I receive!(: If you're a fellow blogger, please leave a link to your blog - I'd love to drop by!

Unfortunately, this is now an award-free blog. I simply do not have the time to respond and forward on the award, but I truly appreciate the nomination regardless.