Sunday, February 19, 2017

Review: The Hating Game by Sally Thorne


Title: The Hating Game

Author: Sally Thorne

Rating: 3 Stars

My shameful weakness is the hate-to-love trope, especially when it's done in an office setting and involves elevator kisses--all of which The Hating Game promised. But while it sounds like it could be another [book:Practice Makes Perfect|5082599], Thorne's debut sadly doesn't even come close.

The Hating Game is a cute, fun read. It takes awhile to really get off its feet, but once it does, it's certainly entertaining. It's impossible not to fall for Lucy and Josh and their all-too-familiar game of hating one another. But where this novel falters, for me, is in the mere fact that it is all so slow. Lucy takes forever to realize that Josh really, really doesn't hate her, even when it's so freaking obvious. Even when these two are together, it's really only by the end that all this sexual tension comes to fruition and I felt as if, with characters this combustive, this story should have been so much more sexier than it actually wound up being.

I'll admit that the drama is kept minimal, which I liked, but this book is merely a romance. Josh and Lucy have no other friends, barely speak to their family members (except when used as a plot device) and they have all the time in the world to spend thinking about only each other--and they do! It made me worry that, when all was said and done, they'd become bored constantly spending every waking moment of their time with each other when they went through such little personal growth, particularly inner development that manifested itself in any way except a thought or two.

Sadly, Thorne isn't going to be a new romance favorite. If you're looking for a fun, flirty, and sexy office romance that features kick-ass females with friends and lives outside of their love stories, look no farther than Julie James and Lauren Layne. I don't mind a protagonist who is struggling and lonely, but I need her to take control of her life and pass that damn Bechdel test! If you aren't as picky as I am about such things, I guarantee The Hating Game is for you.

10 comments:

  1. Yay I think you felt more like me, it was good, but not as awesome as everyone else though

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to see that you weren't able to enjoy this one as much as you'd hoped Keertana. I really struggle getting into the beginning too and it wasn't until the second half that the book picked up for me. But like you there was a lot of hype surrounding this book and it really wasn't a favourite for me either. I hope your next book which focuses on a hate to love trope is a lot more enjoyable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad this wasn't a bit more for you but glad you did like it even if it will never become a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy this much. I had so much fun with this story, but maybe the audio version helped? The narrator was excellent. I do love Lauren Layne, but she can take the love/hate thing too far for me sometimes, where it feels like it goes on and on, frustrating the hell out of me. Great honest review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw man. I adore this book! I'm sorry it didn't blow you away. :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really curious about this one -I've read more positive reviews than not. I'm sorry it wasn't your most favorite though! I appreciate your honest thoughts, as usual. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nooooo, I'm sorry you didn't love this one, Keertana! I haven't read it (yet?) - I'm waiting for a sale so I can buy it. I don't love it when the story and/or romance is super slow, but I am on board with little drama. I am definitely going to be reading this one to experience it for myself. It's good that you didn't totally hate it!

    Wonderful review, Keertana. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I definitely prefer romances where characters have present families and life outside the main couple relationship. Sorry to hear you’ve found this book lacking in this aspect. I still looking forward to read Hating Games, I need an entertaining and light romance at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sometimes it's nice to have a book like that but too bas it wasn't a bit more

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers and I read, reply, and appreciate every one of the comments I receive!(: If you're a fellow blogger, please leave a link to your blog - I'd love to drop by!

Unfortunately, this is now an award-free blog. I simply do not have the time to respond and forward on the award, but I truly appreciate the nomination regardless.