Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Review: Queen of the Night by Leanne Hall


Title: Queen of the Night (This is Shyness, #2) 

Author: Leanne Hall 

Rating: 5 Stars 

If This is Shyness was a portal into an unbelievable dream-world, Queen of the Night is the tender few moments suspended between that dream and reality. When I first read This is Shyness a few months back, I was exhilarated beyond belief at the remarkably original tale Hall had managed to create, yet, I never felt as if anything was missing. With Queen of the Night, however, Leanne Hall enables us to see just how much more there is to the unique world she imagined. While we are thrown, once again, into the world of Shyness, its mysteries, and the enigmatic lives of Wolfboy and Wildgirl, we are also given, for once, a much more slower, brooding, and thought-provoking experience than we ever had before.

It has been six months and thirteen days since Nia last saw Jethro in Shyness and not a day has gone by without her thinking of him. Jethro, however, has not called Nia in the long months they’ve been apart and although Nia doesn’t know it, Jethro is constantly thinking about her too. With the passage of time however, more than just Nia and Jethro have changed; Shyness has changed as well. While the city remains to be as dark as ever, stranger things than usual seem to be happening, one of which is Paul, Jethro’s best friend, wandering the streets with a group of trance-like people dressed in blue. Thus, with more questions than answers and no way to help his friend, Jethro is forced to turn to Nia and request her to return back to Shyness with him. Yet, this time, more than simply their relationship is at stake – their very dreams and reality are too.

One of the first things to strike you about Queen of the Night, either than Leanne Hall’s beautiful prose, is just how much you missed the world of Shyness, and, in particular, Wolfboy and Wildgirl although really we all just missed Wolfboy if we’re being honest. Hall’s imaginative land, whether you are aware of it or not, has wormed its way into your heart and returning back to these pages with their languid phrases and contemplative dual narration feels exactly like returning home. While the pacing and focus of this novel is far different from its predecessor, it is also, strangely, exactly right. We are exempt from the shy endearments of Wolfboy and Wildgirl’s first love and are instead treated to a subtle awkwardness as they attempt to re-learn each other without the craziness of one night tying them together. Queen of the Night spans, instead, over a longer period of time as Wolfboy and Wildgirl grow back together and I simply adored the realistic manner in which their romance played out as the novel unfolded.

Yet, even more than that, Queen of the Night focuses on Shyness, making this land the most mysterious character of all. Hall begins to peel back some of the clouds covering the origins of this city and while we are granted more answers by the end of this novel, we are also left with an even larger pool of questions. Even more than that though, with her sophomore novel Hall makes us think. While This is Shyness was a journey we were forced to undertake without too much thought, Queen of the Night is a novel that starts out much like any other romance and slowly transforms into a symbolic tale, forcing the reader to question the very substance of dreams, our imaginations, and the barrier between reality and our subconscious. It’s one of those rare stories that leaves you feeling satisfied at the end, but also leaves you hanging and praying fervently hoping for another venture into Shyness.

In reality though, Hall’s sophomore novel is far stronger than her debut ever was. It is a much more contemplative and thought-provoking story and I doubt that no matter how many times I re-read it, I will ever even begin to graze the hidden meanings and reflective themes incorporated into this tale. It contains the trademark imagination and gorgeous writing that Leanne Hall is known for, but it also goes above and beyond to show us a glimpse into a flawed world wrought with vulnerable characters and overshadowed by both a literal and metaphorical darkness. It is difficult for me to pinpoint exactly what it is that makes these books work, for I am not one to embrace unusually open endings or unexplained subjects, but despite all that, it is impossible not to fall head-over-heels in love with this tale. Queen of the Night is sure to satisfy fans of This is Shyness and win over those on the fence about Hall’s debut. Me? Well, it’s safe to say that I fell in love with Wolfboy Shyness all over again and can only hope that Leanne Hall chooses to write a sequel so that I can crawl into Wolfboy’s lap and stroke his cheek like I so desperately want to. ;)

If you haven't read/heard of this series before, you can follow the links above to read my review of the first novel, This is Shyness or just click here.

27 comments:

  1. I had to skim this because I haven't read This is Shyness yet but I am so excited to see that you have! Did you order it from Fishpond? I tried to order it a few months back and it was currently unavailable. After that I sort of forgot to check again. I'm heading over to check your GR review of that book now:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books that make me think Keertana! The ones that have me closing the back cover fully intending to pick another book up right away only to find I'm not ready to stop thinking about the one I finished just yet:) Shyness sounds like an extraordinary place, one I don't think I can go much longer without visiting! Beautiful review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always manage to engage my attention with an author I've never heard of and draw me into really wanting to read a book (on those you love).

    Again, I seem to be blind to all these amazing authors out there and through blogging and Goodreads my eyes have been opened.

    Thank you for drawing my attention to this because it sounds brilliant. You really have made me want to read this book.

    And Wolfboy, you want to crawl into his lap?! Well... I think that says it all for me.

    Off to check out the first book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is Shyness is a book that has been on my wish list forever! Darn these awesome Aussie books that are so hard to get hold of, I'm really torn whether I should move to good old Aus or the US for the awesome books! Seriously Keertana you are one lucky girl to have read this series, I'm glad you loved Queen of the Night even more! I really need to save all my pennies and go on a Aussie book binge! Wonderful review darling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't read this because I'd like to pick up the first book sometime and I didn't want to spoil anything. I see your 5 stars though, and I know you don't give those lightly, so I know this has to be good. Those Aussie writer's are amazing! I really need to catch up on my Aussie challenge before the end of the year! Eeeek! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh. HOW had I not heard of this series before? *adds to wishlist* It sounds amazing! I love unique storytelling. :)
    - Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not heard of this series yet but it definitely sounds like one I MUST read! And Aussie authors? Oh yes- I'm on that train! Those peeps are BRIILIANT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh books with beautiful prose that make you think and amaze you are my favorite, I read a really great review on this awhile,back only to find it wasn't available in the U.S. so now I am off to see if I can get this author now, Just lovely! I have .sanctum up tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read This Is Shyness yet, but I'm so glad to see you loved it, and this one even more! It just sounds...amazing. Awesome review, Keertana! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I probably shouldn't have read this review as I haven't started the first book yet but I couldn't help myself. A 5 star rating is VERY rare for you. :D I've heard such brilliant things about these books that I really need to pick up my copy of book 1 soon. I don't know why I haven't yet. I'm glad you were impressed with the sequel, Keertana. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I probably shouldn't have read this review as I haven't started the first book yet but I couldn't help myself. A 5 star rating is VERY rare for you. :D I've heard such brilliant things about these books that I really need to pick up my copy of book 1 soon. I don't know why I haven't yet. I'm glad you were impressed with the sequel, Keertana. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hadn't even heard of the first novel in this series before now but I'm glad that I have now! The series sounds great and I love when the second book tops the first! It sounds like the perfect book for those times where I want to think a little bit more -- thanks for the rec! :) I am so intrigued by Wolfboy, LOL! Great review, Keertana <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. GOSH, I've heard great things about this book + the author and she's AUSSIE! YAY! And geez, I should have read this book when I first heard of it. It sounds AMAZING.

    Awesome review, Keertana ♥ So glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. SOOOO glad you loved this book!! You're right, I didn't realise it until I started but I had missed Jethro, Nia and Shyness itself. Wonderful review :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Heather, you definitely must pick this one up! I think you'll adore it and Fishpond usually updates and receives new stock quite frequently, so I hope you're able to buy it from there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Jenny! I really think you'll like this book, so I can't recommend it enough! I hope you're able to pick this one up soon, dear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yayy! I hope you enjoy it, Olivia! Yes, Wolfboy is just... *swoons* I can't WAIT to see what you think of this series! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Jasprit! YES, you definitely need to binge on this series - you won't regret it! I adored it and I really hope you enjoy it as well! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rachel, I hope you're able to pick up this series before the end of the year! It's fantastic and I'd loveee to see what you think! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. YES! Lauren, you'll adore this one, so I hope you can get ahold of it soon! :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. I knoww! I swear, there is something with the water down there. ALL their novels are amazing and this one is no exception! I hope you enjoy it, Candace! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Heidi! I'm always so disappointed to find that these Aussie authors are SO hard to find in the US! WHY? I hope you can find this book though - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Aa'Ishah! I adored this one, so I hope you pick up This is Shyness! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yes, it is, isn't it? I love giving out 5 Stars though, so this one was just...perfect! I hope you pick up book 1 soon, Sam! :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sonia, this series is amazing! I really hope you enjoy it when you give it a try! YES, Wolfboy is just...amazing. Ah-maz-ing! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks Celine! Yes, Aussie authors are SO awesome, so I loved this one! I hope you read it soon! :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks Mandee! I want a sequel to this one SO badly! I need more Wolfboy! ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers and I read, reply, and appreciate every one of the comments I receive!(: If you're a fellow blogger, please leave a link to your blog - I'd love to drop by!

Unfortunately, this is now an award-free blog. I simply do not have the time to respond and forward on the award, but I truly appreciate the nomination regardless.