Friday, October 5, 2012

Adult Mini Reviews: Silver, Tempting the Best Man, and On Dublin Street

I feel as if these mini-reviews are becoming a regular feature on my blog and I hope you all are loving them just as much as I enjoy writing them. For this week's edition, I chose to review some adult novels I've been reading lately. I don't read too many of them, but I wound up enjoyed all of these a lot, so I'd definitely recommend them all! (A nice change from my snarky/DNF mini-reviews, right?)


Title: Silver 
Author: Rhiannon Held
Rating: 3.5 Stars 
Andrew Dare is a werewolf. He’s the enforcer for the Roanoke pack, and responsible for capturing or killing any Were intruders in Roanoke’s territory. But the lone Were he’s tracking doesn’t smell or act like anyone he’s ever encountered. And when he catches her, it doesn’t get any better. She’s beautiful, she’s crazy, and someone has tortured her by injecting silver into her veins. She says her name is Silver, and that she’s lost her wild self and can’t shift any more. The packs in North America have a live-and-let-live attitude, and try not to overlap with each other. But Silver represents a terrible threat to every Were on the continent.  Andrew and Silver will join forces to track down this menace while discovering their own power and their passion for each other 
Silver is an adult urban fantasy novel like no other. First and foremost, it tackles one of the most unique ideas I've come across in my reading of werewolf lore and I just loved the manner in which this was executed. It was told mostly as a murder mystery, but it contained heavy character development as well, switching between the perspectives of Andrew and Silver. In all honesty, it is them who drive this novel forward, with their scarring pasts and struggles to make a better future for themselves and their romance is very subtle and truly beautiful to see play out. 

While I truly enjoyed reading Silver, with its plot twists and dark tale, I did think it could have benefited from a little more emphasis on the world-building. It isn't shabby in the least, but I would have liked a few more details. Furthermore, I found that some scenes, while definitely contributing to some of the character qualities that Andrew and Silver possessed, could have been cut out entirely. In my opinion, they didn't do much for the novel and made it a little chunkier than it could have been. Lastly, and most probably my biggest qualm, was the unrealistic situation when it came to the villain. I found it a little hard to believe that the villain was so preoccupied with a beautiful woman that he didn't hear his prisoner break free of his chains on the floor below and make a racket while crawling up the stairs towards him...you see what I mean? 

Yet, overall, Silver was an excellent tale. As a character, Silver can often come across as insane due to her situation, but the ultimate way in which this was dealt with and the fact that Andrew was able to see her inner strength despite that just made me fall in love with the romance - and this book - even more. If you're looking for an unique take on werewolf lore or are just another fan of Adult Urban Fantasy with a tinge of murder mystery and a hint of romance, this is just the book for you! :)

Title: Tempting the Best Man (Gamble Brothers, #1)
Author: J. Lynn 
Rating: 3 Stars 
Madison Daniels has worshipped her brother's best friend since they were kids. Everyone thinks she and Chase Gamble would make the perfect couple, but there are two major flaws in their logic. 1) Chase has sworn off relationships of any kind, and 2) after blurring the line between friends and lovers for one night four years ago, they can't stop bickering. Forced together for her brother's wedding getaway, Chase and Madison decide to call a truce for the happy couple. Except all bets are off when they're forced to shack up in a tacky 70’s honeymoon suite and survive a multitude of "accidents" as the family tries to prove their "spark" can be used than for more than fighting. That is, if they don't strangle each other first…
Temping the Best Man is not a novel I would have normally picked up off the shelves, but it was exactly what I needed at the time - mindless entertainment. Not only was it a ton of fun to read with the cute banter between Madison and Chase, it was also a very sweet and steamy romance. I reserve books like this for those times when I just need a quick get-away or escape and this story worked out beautifully.

Nevertheless, that being said, there were quite a few qualms I noticed when I finally stepped back from the romantic euphoria that surrounds this story. For one, the ending never directly addresses many of the misunderstandings that occurred during the last couple of chapters in this novel and felt like an ultimate cop-out in that sense. Furthermore, I never understood, until just before the ending, why Maddie constantly told Chase he wasn't like his father because to me, he definitely seemed like it. You see, Chase's father more-or-less slept with other women during his marriage to Chase's mother and by being a playboy, Chase never shrugged off that image either. Yet, Maddie always insisted that Chase wasn't like his father and it was difficult to see this until the ending.

Ultimately though, I read this book for a purpose and that purpose was fulfilled wonderfully. I had a lot of fun reading this and wound up sitting up for a considerable amount of time, flipping the pages of this one rather frantically. If you're a fan of romance, I am confident you'll adore this novel much more than I did. It's a definite comfort read and the ideal book to get you out of a reading slump and back into reading more serious pieces of fiction!

Title: On Dublin Street
Author: Samantha Young
Rating: 4 Stars
Four years ago, Jocelyn Butler left her tragic past behind in the States and started over in Edinburgh. Burying the grief, ignoring her demons, and forging ahead without any real attachments has worked well for her so far but when Joss moves into a fantastic apartment on Dublin Street, her carefully guarded world is shaken to its core by her new roommate's sexy older brother. Braden Carmichael is a man who always gets what he wants. And what he wants is Jocelyn in his bed. Knowing how skittish Joss is concerning any kind of relationship, Braden proposes a sexual arrangement that should satisfy the intense attraction between them without it developing into anything 'more'. An intrigued Jocelyn agrees, completely unprepared for the Scotsman and his single-minded determination to strip the stubborn young woman bare... to the very soul.
I think the first thing I need to point out about this novel is that the synopsis is utterly misleading. Very misleading. You see, more than a simple, steamy romance, On Dublin Street is really a story of grief and its impact on a young girl. In fact, for much of this story, there is no romance and the romance which eventually emerges in this tale is one that only furthers the character development. 

I am not a huge fan of mindless romance novels, but On Dublin Street really made me appreciate and ponder over the walls people put up and why they put them up. Furthermore, I've never understood the whole friends-with-benefits situation, but it actually makes sense in this novel! So many cliches which I thought I hated and could never come to terms with were all shown in such a positive light where they worked for this story. It's important to point out that doesn't happen with every tale, but situations like seeing a therapist or exploring the stages of grief or even cliched occurrences like jealousy and what-not were actually necessary and only  strengthened  this tale, making me love it all the more.

Overall, the romance in this novel is beautifully written and slow-to-burn, the characters contain an immense amount of depth and personality, the friendships are tight and the bonds that this novel contains are ones for life. I loved the amount of growth that Joss went through in this book and she's a character who surprisingly made her way into my heart. In addition, this is one romance I'll be re-reading again and again, simply because it has an addictive quality to it not to mention Braden is an addictive drug himself. Thus, if you want a really good romance with character development and depth in it as well, I couldn't recommend anything better than On Dublin Street. It won't disappoint, that's for sure! ;)

34 comments:

  1. You know what I'm like with adult fiction, but these three sound like options I would definitely like! Silver sounds fantastic especially. I love the cover for it too. And I keep meaning to try out Jennifer L. Armentrout's adult books, so Tempting the Best Man is already on my list. I'm glad you enjoyed these books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not a fan of mindless romance?! Wow, I am shocked. I don't think we can be friends after all. :D
    Oh, nevermind me, I've gone insane today.
    You usually write mini reviews for books you didn't particularly like so I was surprised that you had such nice things to say about Dublin Street. I never would have read it based on the synopsis alone, but I certainly would now. How you manage to do that every time is beyond me.
    OF all these, though, Silver seems right up my alley. You say 'urban fantasy' and I'm all over that in a second! I hate it when the worldbuilding isn't as it should be, but it does sound interesting enough nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for the mini reviews Keertana! I like how you've decided to take on some adult books this time and they sound like an interesting bunch! I was laughing my head off about the unrealistic situation with the villain in Silver, I'm sure when you were reading it, it wasn't funny at all! Also you know I'm a big fan of romance in my novels! So I think I should check out Tempting the Best Man and On Dublin Street soon! I especially like the sound of On Dublin Street with the very misleading premise! :) Yet again some wonderful reviews hun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great reviews Keertana! I've never been able to master the art of mini reviews. I'm not good with mini. On Dublin Street sounds sort of like the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning but that might be because of the setting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these mini reviews too! I feel too long winded in my reviews so I'm so envious when someone can put their thoughts down in a concise yet thorough way!

    I'm curious about Silver. I have heard mixed reviews but you're right, it is an intriguing premise. It's good to read a positive review & your's makes me want to pick it up even more now, so job well done, Keertana:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just gotten into the blogging thing, which was fueled by my love of Goodreads, and I really enjoy your site! As far as this review goes, I've been thinking about reading On Dublin Street for a while now--it seems to be getting a lot of buzz--but I wasn't sure if I would like it or not. Thanks to your review, I think I'll give it a try. I look forward to reading your future reviews!

    Natalie at http://nataliereadsbooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really need to read On Dublin Street. I was hesitant because of the latest trashy/abusive romance craze, but it looks like this book has more substance than that. I'm glad you enjoyed it because it helped make my decision for me. I like the slow burn kind of love with lots of chemistry but I do like it to avoid the usual romance tropes, ya know? I am glad this is not the case with this one. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I heard of any of these. Its nice to sometimes pick up something you wouldn't normally. Change can be good. I'm glad that for the most part these were all good books for you. I think the last one interests me the most though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the mini reviews Keertana! I LOVED On Dublin Street so I'm thrilled you did too! It wasn't the mindless romance but had a deep engaging, and heartbreaking story behind the heroine's issues. Plus, as you said Braden is an addictive drug! ;) I read Tempting the Best Man too, and as a smut read, it was okay. A little frustrating but enjoyable overall. Did you know that it was written by JLA? She uses a different pen name for her adult titles. I'll have to check out Silver because I love mysteries! Great reviews Keertana. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just now notice you reached 500 followers! Congrats Keertana! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't know Silver was adult! I thought it was YA. But nevertheless, I'm glad you still liked it despite the unrealistic (but really funny) villain.

    On Dublin Street looks HOT and I'm also glad that the synopsis is rather misleading because it sounds very typical and predictable. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally agree with you on Tempting the Best Man! It was entertaining but nothing amazing. The ending was underwhelming for me too but it was interesting to read the author's adult work to see her ~go all the way~

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the sound of Silver the most, I don't read many were books but an adult one might be a nice change!

    And I also don't read much straight up romance but they have a purpose, it's really nice just to read something and not expect it to be the most amazing book ever!

    ReplyDelete
  14. While I haven't heard of most of the adult books before, they all sound very intriguing. I've heard of Samantha Young's YA books and I didn't know she was writing an adult book! I haven't read many adult books but I'm trying to build my interest and these books are definitely on my list of adult books to check out ;)

    Awesome mini-reviews, Keertana! ♥ Glad you enjoyed the books!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am both a fan of adult Urban Fantasy and unique werewolf lore...sold! Actually, I have to admit I have a thing for wolves period.

    Also, On Dublin Street is the kind of book I normally wouldn't glance twice at, but I'm so glad you reviewed it! It actually seems to have some depth, and I also have to admit I have a thing for Scots...clearly I need to check this out next time I'm in a romance mood.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had no idea Silver was an Urban Fantasy or that it was an adult novel. I can pick it up from the library and am more excited after reading your mini review. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahh! All of these adult romance novels seem great. I've definitely added some to my tbr! I've heard amazing amazing things about Samantha Young's books--that's one that I'll definitely picking it up! Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Sam! I adored the unique qualities in Silver, so I definitely think you'll appreciate that one, without a doubt! I think I prefer Armentrout's YA Novels, but Tempting the Best Man was a tooon of fun, so I hope the sequel is out soon! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes, Silver is definitely right up your alley, Maja! I think you'll LOVE it! On Dublin Street was a hugeee surprise for me, but I wound up REALLY liking it, so I can't recommend that one enough either! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Jasprit! You definitely should check out On Dublin Street - I have a feeling you'll love it! Not to mention Rachel adored it as well, so it's a sure win for you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yup, only the setting is in common with those two books, Lisbeth...aaaand the hot guys! ;) I hope you check it out though!(:

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Heather! My mini-reviews are usually long to most people, but I guess compared to your detailed reviews, they ARE short, so yay! I think you'll enjoy Silver, simply because the premise was SO intriguing. I hope you pick it up soon! :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Natalie! I can't wait to see what you think of On Dublin Street and I'm SO glad you discovered my blog! I love your reviews too, dear, so thanks for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. On Dublin Street has a lot of unexpected depth, so don't worry on that count, Kara. I hope you enjoy it, so I can't wait to see what you think! :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. Candace, I'm so glad I introduced you to some new books! Yay! I hope you decide to check them out and wind up liking them! :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks Rachel! I adored your review of On Dublin Street and I agree, Tempting the Best Man was just okay. I hope you enjoy Silver though - it was SO different...in a good way! :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. Chel, the synopsis of On Dublin Street is definitely VERY misleading, so I hope you give it a try now. Also, Silver is DEFINITELY adult, simply because of some of the content, but I adored it. It's such a unique book from everything else out there, so you'll have to try it out someday for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I know, it was, but I think I preferred her YA Series somehow. I think there's a sequel though, so hopefully that will be more satisfying! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Mandee, I think you'll really enjoy Silver. I don't see you read much adult or urban fantasy novels, so this would definitely be a nice change! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Samantha Young writes YA? Woah! I'll have to check it out for sure! I'm glad I was able to interest you in these books though, Celine - I can't wait to see what you think of them!(:

    ReplyDelete
  32. Heidi, I think Silver will be a novel you love! I can't wait to see what you make of it and On Dublin Street is definitely an excellent romance. It is a little dramatic at times, but it's a romance, so what else can you expect, right? I still adored it, so I hope you enjoy that one too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks Gina! I hope you enjoy Silver! It isn't very well-known, but it's excellent, so I'm curious to see what you make of it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  34. Yayy! I'm glad I introduced you to some new books Jen, and Samantha Young's writing was awesome! I need to check out her other novels ASAP! :D

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers and I read, reply, and appreciate every one of the comments I receive!(: If you're a fellow blogger, please leave a link to your blog - I'd love to drop by!

Unfortunately, this is now an award-free blog. I simply do not have the time to respond and forward on the award, but I truly appreciate the nomination regardless.