Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Monthly Rewind: March

Ahh, March...I am glad to see this month go. It wasn't the worst it could have been, by far, but there were some rough times this past month, I have to admit. Plus, midterms have not been fun..AT ALL.

3 Things About My Life This Month

1. I re-united with  high school friends in Copenhagen, Denmark! One of my friends from high school is studying abroad in Copenhagen and another friend from high school, who has been studying in London for the past three years, also joined us and it was just so, so much fun to catch up and reunite while abroad. I ate SO MUCH good food (not Danish food, oops!) and was in completely in love with the city by the time I left.

2. I had a...rather terrible, horrible, no good, very bad weekend. I'd been having a great week since March 15th is a Hungarian National Holiday, a.k.a. no school, so by the time St. Patrick's Day rolled around, we were all excited to continue our amazing weekend, especially since a new club had just opened in Budapest. We went out for dinner (Mexican!) and then went out and, for whatever reason, my stomach just hated the food we had had. I was super sick, threw up at the club, threw up in a taxi, threw up at our apartment, and then threw all my clothes into the washing machine. The next morning, I realized that my phone was in the pocket of my skirt, which was then in the washing machine, and to make matters worse, I had a fever that night and was in general pitiful and horribly sick. It sucked. Needless to say, my wallet took a huge hit buying me a new phone (and paying the cab driver). :/

3. I went to Berlin, Germany! We didn't quite plan our trip to Berlin perfectly since it happened to fall the weekend before midterms, but I had a wonderful time in the city! We took a free walking tour which was just incredible and I made a new friend on the tour who joined us for a large portion of our trip and just made it that much more fun. I don't think Berlin makes my top cities of Europe, list, but I just loved the history and the palpable energy of this capital.

Top 3 Books I Read This Month


pic name
pic name
pic name
Of course, A Conjuring of Light is going to be among the best books I read all year. I mean, V.E. Schwab and my favorite adult fantasy series right now? So...yes. It was amazing. My two surprises of the month were Traitor to the Throne and Daughter of the Pirate King! I enjoyed Rebel of the Sands but I certainly didn't love it but, wow, this sequel is a whole new level of absolutely incredible. Hamilton's prose is beautiful and the world-building, stakes, and characterizations are all just better in this novel. I need the sequel...now!!! Daughter of the Pirate King was also a pleasant surprise since I didn't have high expectations for this debut and was pleasantly surprised by what an enjoyable fantasy this was. I read it all in one sitting and I am dying for the sequel in my hands (it's a duet!!).

Most Popular Post

I loved this book to pieces and it's part of one of my all-time favorite series ever so I hope more readers pick up these books! A Conjuring of Light wasn't my favorite of the trilogy, but it was such a satisfying ending to this world that I have no complaints.

Post I Wish Got a Little More Love


Mini-Reviews: London Belongs to Us by Sarra Manning, Monstrous Beauty by Elizabeth Fama, and The Next Together by Lauren James. I rarely post mini-reviews so I hope more readers check out this post! It's a mixed bag, but I'm hoping to have more of a discussion on why some readers may have loved books that just didn't strike a chord with me and vice-versa.

3 Things I'm Looking Forward to Next Month

1. SPRING BREAK!!! I am finally going on Spring Break next month! It's incredibly late, but at least it's actually Spring, and I am off to Croatia for ten days. I am so excited to see Dubrovnik and Split and their beaches and even do some island hopping!!! If you've been and have recommendations of places I should hit up, let me know!

2. I'm off to Dublin, Ireland! I've been hearing so much about what an incredible city Dublin is, so I'm very excited to be finally visiting (and try some Guinness while I'm at it!).

3. Malta!! The last weekend of April is a long weekend for us, here in Hungary, so I am off to Malta with the entire squad. The other trips I'm taking next month are only with my roommates, but our entire squad of eight is finally taking a trip together and we're off to the tiny island nation of Malta, which looks stunning! I can't wait!

Needless to say, next month is already lining up to be so much better than this one and I cannot wait for my back-to-back weekends of traveling and beaches. How was your March? Any plans for April? Any travel recommendations for me? Any good beach reads I should make sure to take with me? Let me know in the comments below! :)

12 comments:

  1. Ugh. The worst. The worst is getting food poisoning. Especially when it feels like you're going to vomit everything including your intestines. Glad it was only a temporary thing.

    So great when you're able to hook up with friends wherever you are. That's pretty cool!

    Looking forward to reading more about your travels, Keertana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah, I'm so jealous of all your travels! I'm glad Denmark was fun and you caught up with some old friends.

    I'm so sorry about the sickness and having to get a new phone. I HATE throwing up, so I know how awful that can be. I hope you are much better now!

    I hope you have a great April. I really hope to visit Ireland sometime!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. Sounds like you got food poisoning. Glad you are feeling better.

    I so wanted to travel. Thanks for sharing your adventures. I do look forward to them and love traveling with you through the blog! :) Hope you continue to have adventures, fun and no more food poisoning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Traveling, traveling! It's one of the things I'm somewhat regretting not doing, now that I'm about to graduate - but at the same time, I don't regret it because I can't afford it and that wasn't changing. :D I really want to go to Germany though. My sister and I are planning a trip, for next year!

    Hope you're feeling better and you're reading for Dublin and Malta and wherever else you'll be gallivanting off to, Keertana! Have a great weekend and month of April. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being sick is the worst! I had the bug earlier this year and I was out and so weak for like three days, I couldn't even read anything and I felt so out of it. But I hope that you're feeling better now and you have so many awesome trips to look forward to in April! I am especially jealous of your trip to Ireland! And I'm so happy to see that Traitor to the Throne was a top read for you, I absolutely loved it too. Ans I so need to make April all about Schwab's books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no! I'm so sorry you got so sick! I had food poisoning last month so I can totally relate, it is awful stuff. Sorry about your phone as well. *hugs* Glad the rest of your month has been good though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's awful you ended up getting food poisoning and had to get a new phone too! Did you try putting your phone in rice before buying a new one? My phone got wet a couple years ago and that trick saved me from having to buy a new one.

    The rest of your month sounds fabulous though. You mentioned you've got two other high school friends study abroad so this is me just being curious ... do American teens often study abroad? I'm thinking about my own group of friends at a regular size high school and nobody studied outside of Southern Ontario.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry to hear that you got sick! It's hard to think straight when you're so sick so I can totally understand how your phone ended up in the washer. That sucks!

    I'm so envious of all your travels, Keertana! I'm not able to do much this year except local stuff, which I shouldn't complain about because California has some lovely places to visit! Anyhow, I had family travel to Croatia last year and their Instagram pics were amazing! They visited The Plitvice Lakes National Park, among many other places, but it looked spectacular! I can't wait to see your pics!

    I have A Darker Shade of Magic on audio, I need to get to it soon especially since hearing the series is one of your favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Keertana! I’m sorry I haven’t been around recently. My PhD program keeps me busy. I’m sorry to hear March gave you some rough times, hopefully April is better. And I’m really sorry to hear your holiday weekend wasn’t what you planned.

    It’s so wonderful you had a chance to catch up with your friends from high school. It’s so easy to lose each other given the distance and new college experiences, but you still stay in touch.

    I’m looking forward to your updates about your new travels, have a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great blog, Thanks for sharing this information.
    Visit Best Astrologer in Bangalore.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice blog with good content,thanks for sharing.
    For sofa repair work contact thesofastore gives Sofa Refurbishing in Padmanabhnagar,Bangalore

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers and I read, reply, and appreciate every one of the comments I receive!(: If you're a fellow blogger, please leave a link to your blog - I'd love to drop by!

Unfortunately, this is now an award-free blog. I simply do not have the time to respond and forward on the award, but I truly appreciate the nomination regardless.