Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Monthly Rewind: November

3 Things About My Life This Month


1. The U.S. Presidential Election CRUSHED Me. I was a sobbing mess for days and I felt even more helpless being here, in France, and away from all of my friends and loved ones. I haven't spoken about the election on this platform, yet, because there is so much to say and so many people who are saying far better than I can. It's a travesty but, frankly, we cannot give up; we cannot allow the despair that followed the election results to keep us down and we also cannot allow it to fade into our memories. We have to keep that feeling alive and, what's more, we have to constantly support one another, call out each other's racism and sexism and bigotry, and try to make sense of the fractured country we live in. We have to keep ourselves informed, leave our safe bubbles, and challenge our thinking at every step of the way. If we don't do this, we will not have learned from this election and, at this point, that's the best we can do. 

2. I went to London!! I couldn't sleep the night before my flight to London--I was so damn excited. And I loved London! It's my favorite big city in Europe (that I've visited) and I had such a wonderful time, meeting up with relatives and friends and especially seeing Jasprit from The Reader's Den! The two of us have been friends since we entered the blogging world, around the same time, so it was amazing to spend a wonderful day with her, and, what's more, she's the FIRST blogging friend I've met face-to-face! It was amazing and tysm Jasprit, for coming into London and spending so much time with me!

3. I took my first solo-trip, ever, to Amsterdam! I've been wanting to travel solo for awhile and Amsterdam, where the majority of the population speaks English and the crime rate is very low, seemed like the perfect destination. I had such a wonderful time in this beautiful city and even met up with a cousin and a friend of mine, so combined with all the delicious food, no regrets whatsoever. Plus, I now feel more confident than ever to travel alone, eat alone, and spend a weekend entirely alone. None of it was as hard as I imagined and I highly recommended solo travel for everyone! 

Best Book I Read This Month

I didn't read a lot this month, in the midst of election depression and then my travels, but I adored this last book in this beloved series and, I promise, it delivers on all counts and is well worth the wait.

Most Popular Post This Month

I looooved this book so I'm thrilled that my review got as many views and comments as it did. I hope you all pick this one up this holiday season and LOVE it like I did! :) 

Post I Wish Got a Little More Love

This book (and author) fell under the radar but I really enjoyed this one so much so I hope I can convince a few more of you to pick this up before the year is over!

3 Things I'm Looking Forward to Next Month

1. MOROCCO! So, technically, by the time this post goes up, I would have already spent five amazing days in Morocco, but this is my last trip and one I am so very excited for. I am sure it is going to be remarkable. 

2. I AM FINALLY GOING HOME! Guys, I miss my family so much (and my town, and my mom's cooking, and just MURICA) so I cannot wait to be on a flight back! Less than two weeks and I will be in my own bed, eating my mom's homemade everything, speaking ENGLISH. I am so ready.

3. Christmas! My family doesn't typically do a lot for Christmas but this year my aunt and cousin are coming to visit and I'm really excited to see them! We haven't had a family reunion in a loooong time so it'll be so much fun to see them and spend some time with them in New York. :)

What are you looking forward to in December? Is anyone else already listening to carols and watching Christmas movies? How was November? I'd love to hear in the comments and I promise to be much more active this month!

8 comments:

  1. I must get better at commenting, but I put both The Forgetting and The Bird and the Sword on hold at the library because of your posts. Still waiting for both, though!

    And I see that Anne Bishop series everywhere; I really need to read it.

    I am so jealous of your trip to Morocco! I can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh I hope you are having fun in Marocco!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you are traveling a ton! That is awesome. Too bad I wasn't in London the same time as you and Jasprit, but it's great you two could meet and hang out together. I would love to visit Amsterdam sometime. I'm glad your solo trip went well. I think I have too much anxiety to ever travel alone, but I love the idea!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah well. You already know how I felt about the US Election, so I'm not going to rehash my sordid take. Sigh.

    Seriously. Your life. I wants it. Lol. Kidding, I think it's amazing that you're able to travel as much as you want to (wish I can do that do, but you know, pesky mortgage and kids. Lol).

    Have a great December, Keertana!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s so wonderful you’ve met Jasprit in London. And congratulations on your first solo-trip. I hope you are having a great time in Morocco. Have a great December and Christmas, Keertana!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was so great finally meeting you too Keertana! You've reminded me I still need to send you the photos! And your travelling is so making me want to visit all the wonderful places in Europe, can you believe I've only visited two cities in Europe so far? A travesty, but I've always wanted to visit the U.S too! Morocco looks so amazing Keertana, I've been loving your photos on instagram! I bet you can't wait to be back home with family again, I hope you have a safe trip back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I'm glad you are having a blast going solo! I wanted to do that so much and even had plans to go solo in Europe and finding interesting hostels as well as those places that have you housesit for a period of time. So, I guess I'll now have to live vicariously through you... so have a good time for me! ;) Can't wait to see Morocco through your eyes!

    Oh and about the election... I was hoping to get your feedback on my posts about that, but I totally understand if you still need time. I do value your input and I have been finding that people have had a fire lit under them than never before. So, there is good in all of this. I do worry that we will dig ourselves in such a hole it will take a very long time to fix it. At least things are being talked about that we couldn't before really talk about. Hold onto those good things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just got back from two weeks in France and I was so ready for our food back here, so I can only imagine how excited you are to get back home. For family, too, of course, lol!

    I'm still in shock that that moron was elected, I couldn't stand him before he ran for president. I worry about so much...

    Yay that you got to meet Jasprit in London! Hope you had fun in Morocco!

    I loved Etched in Bone, but of course I still want more Meg and Simon! So sad to say goodbye to them!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers and I read, reply, and appreciate every one of the comments I receive!(: If you're a fellow blogger, please leave a link to your blog - I'd love to drop by!

Unfortunately, this is now an award-free blog. I simply do not have the time to respond and forward on the award, but I truly appreciate the nomination regardless.