Thursday, January 29, 2015

Review: When by Victoria Laurie


Title: When 

Author: Victoria Laurie 

Rating: 4.5 Stars

Imagine being able to look at a person and see, always, the day of their death looming above them. It may be an extraordinary gift, sure, but it's also a curse. One that Maddie Fynn knows all too well. Ever since she was young, Maddie has been able to see the deathdays of those around her. It first happened when she drew a family portrait and wrote the etched the date of her father's death on paper and, ever since, her talent has singled Maddie out as a loner. With only one friend, Stubs, whose friendliness is matched only by his kindness, Maddie's life is a small, but fulfilling one. Her alcoholic mother, unable to drive after two DUIs, exploits Maddie's skill and forces her to read deathdates for money--money which Maddie uses to pay off bills; money her mother uses to purchase more alcohol. It isn't the healthiest situation and it's far more than any typical high school junior should manage, but Maddie takes care of herself, her mother, and her grades in a juggling act that has become routine.

She doesn't think there's much room in her life for things to get any worse until the FBI name her a suspect to the murder of a young thirteen-year-old boy. Earlier that week, Maddie had looked at an imagine of a young girl with cancer and told her mother that she would live. Inside that wallet, however, were pictures of two other children--one who was fated to die a week from that day. When Maddie tries to warn the mother, however, she is labeled a fraud and the angry customer leaves Maddie's house. A week later, when the boy is found missing, Maddie is questioned by the FBI. With the help of her Uncle Donny, a lawyer in Brooklyn, and her best friend, Maddie must try to clear her name and prove to the FBI that she's innocent. Because, after all, the real killer is still on the loose...

When is a brilliantly written YA debut from Victoria Laurie. Maddie's narration is raw, honest, and down-to-earth. She's a heroine who makes the best of her circumstances and even as life constantly tries to put her down, she gets back up every time, stronger than ever. I admire her will and determination and throughout the novel, all I wanted to do was shield Maddie from the false accusations and difficult situations she was forced to face as a result of the FBI's interference in her life. The FBI are ruthless and they are desperate enough to put an end to these string of murders--each gruesome, targeting minors, and filled with torture--that they're willing to put the blame on an innocent girl like Maddie.

Despite the fact that Maddie's mother is an alcoholic, I was glad to see that Maddie had other adults in her life whom she could turn to for support. The relationship between Maddie and her Uncle Donny, a bachelor who keeps insisting that Maddie can leave her mother and move in with him, is akin to that of a father and daughter. Maddie's father was Uncle Donny's brother and though it has been years since his death, neither of them can forget him. Moreover, Donny makes Maddie proud to be her father's daughter and though the two face their own set of relationship woes--namely the fact that Maddie is loyal to her mother when Donny can see that it isn't a healthy, or normal, relationship--they work well together as a team and Donny goes above and beyond to make sure that Maddie is safe and protected, despite the mayhem around her.

Maddie's friendship with Stubs is also at the forefront of this novel and their relationship goes through some truly difficult circumstances. Laurie isn't afraid to go to extreme measures when it comes to reinforcing the seriousness of this situation and though, at its core, When is an impeccably written and neatly planned murder mystery, that doesn't decrease the strength of the character relationships throughout the novel. Speaking of the mystery, however, I have to admit that I did not, at all, under any circumstances, predict the final reveal. Laurie threw in plenty of red herrings and clues but the true identity of the murderer is one that I am confident no reader will be able to guess beforehand. It's sneaky, it's shocking, and it all makes too much sense in retrospect--just as an excellent mystery should do.

Maddie deals with so much in this novel--FBI questioning, an alcoholic mother, a murderer on the loose, bullying as a result of the FBI's suspicions--that she has little time to be a normal teenager. Yet, despite the fact that there is little to no romance in this novel, we do receive a final, all-too-perfect glimpse of it at the end. And, let me tell you, it is cute beyond measure. I really enjoyed the fact that When remained focused on Maddie, the mystery at hand, and her consequent growth and change as a result of the investigation. Maddie learns a lot about her abilities over the course of this novel and, what's more, she learns a lot about herself. While she begins this story as a teen trying to fit in and hide her abilities, she grows to embrace them by the end and the confidence she accumulates over the course of this difficult murder is heart-warming to see. Thus, I appreciate that Laurie didn't make, say, Stubs, the romantic interest nor were the trickles of the love story involved, in any way, with the murder at hand. Both are separate storylines, one obviously the main plot, but they converge beautifully in an ending that is completely satisfying.

I'm not sure if I'll go back to read through Laurie's backlog--there's only so much thriller/mystery I can take at a time--but I will, without a doubt, be on the lookout for her next YA novel. If there's one author you should be looking out for in the YA genre, it's Victoria Laurie.

18 comments:

  1. I am really looking forward to reading this book :D To be honest, I didn't think it was going to be a book that many people were going to like, but it looks like I'm going to be wrong :) I hope so, because it sounds amazing!

    Cucie @ Cucie reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously need to try this author and this book. So many people are loving this and another great review has pushed me over the edge, I must add this to the pile LOL!

    Wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a book with the subtlest hint of romance, I'm pretty surprised how much I enjoyed this! I'm glad you did, too, Keertana! Even though it reminds me of Numbers by Rachel Ward, the author did her best to own it.

    Lovely review, hun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book had the same idea of a book I had already read but I really enjoyed it too so I'm glad it's also the case for you. It was a nice surprise and I was surprised at the end. A good investigation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does not sound like a gift I would want

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this book. Loved the mystery, the main character and the small bits of romance. It was perfect for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree! I was pleasantly surprised by this too. I thought the story was excellently constructed, and the complete absence of romance (well, almost) was a welcome change as well. Like you, I doubt I'll find the time to read her previous work, but her future YA books will definitely be on my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you may have just convinced me to give this a shot! I had taken it off my TBR shelf because I heard there wasn't much romance, but I like the sound of this mystery and the fact that it would be difficult to guess. I usually need more romance in my books, but maybe the ending would be enough for me?
    Thank you for sharing this review! I'm definitely going to give the book a second thought now. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know if this is one I'd pick up without having first read your review. I have to say, though, it sounds pretty darned good. I'm okay with little-to-no romance, as long as there's a strong plot to carry the rest of the story along.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hm... I think I need to put this author on my must read list. I don't mind an absence of romance because I think in a book like this it would be a distraction rather than an enhancement. Brilly review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is in transit for me at the library Keertana, and I am so, so, SO excited for it! The way you described Maddie as such a strong and determined heroine makes me anxious to meet her, and I can't even imagine all the stress she must have gone through. It's amazing that Laurie portrayed that in an accurate way. And of course you can never go wrong with an emphasis on strong friendships and familial relationships! Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh I have seen a plethora of reviews for this one now and seriously, majority of them have been really favourable like yours! I am so curious about the concept of this book--I cannot wait to give it a go.

    Fantastic review as always, hun <33

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've had a major hit with timetravel books lately and I literally can't wait to read this one when I get around to it. I'm so pleased that you really enjoyed this one which gives me a positive outlook on when I read it. Great review as always, Keertana! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm even more excited and curious to check this one out. I really do trust your reviews, and I love that you enjoyed this one so much. It's great when thrillers can surprise you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is another book which when I first saw around didn't think that it would be my sort of read, buy after reading your review, I really want to give When a go soon. I'm glad that the story was able to keep you on your toes with the mystery aspect, also that the romance part was subtly worked into the story. So glad that you enjoyed this one Keertana!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I already bought this book and can't wait to get into it. I just love the idea of knowing when a person will die, but not really knowing how he or she will die, and the consequences of having such a curse. I know I would get mad because that's just something that changes something in you, you know? And the fact that Maddie actually doesn't go through all of this by her teenage self, and that there are adult figures here, made me equally happy as well. I find something like that far more realistic. And yay, no romance! Is it weird I am celebrating that? I love a love like no other, but sometimes, I do want to see a book where the focus is on where it should be and not derailed by teenage hormones. I doubt i'd have time for romance if I were falsely accused of doing something!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, what a fascinating premise! It kind of reminds me of that Nickelback song/music video about the people who can see every else's lifelines...haha.
    I'm glad this one was such a positive reading experience for you, Keertana! I agree that I can't read thrillers all the time, but I will keep this one in mind for when the mood strikes me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Honestly, kind of glad that this book has at least some good supportive adults. So sick of YA novels with bad adults ;/

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers and I read, reply, and appreciate every one of the comments I receive!(: If you're a fellow blogger, please leave a link to your blog - I'd love to drop by!

Unfortunately, this is now an award-free blog. I simply do not have the time to respond and forward on the award, but I truly appreciate the nomination regardless.