Saturday, October 26, 2013

ARC Review: Isn't She Lovely by Lauren Layne


Title: Isn't She Lovely

Author: Lauren Layne

Rating: 4 Stars

Release Date: October 28th, 2013

From its mere appearance alone, Isn't She Lovely seems to be a rather classic tale. After all, we have a New Adult college setting, an opposites-attract situation, and two "troubled" teens...what's new? Well, Lauren Layne, that's what. Although I often struggle to find a New Adult novel I enjoy - one that isn't Holier Than Thou or Unteachable, - Layne's debut into this genre won me over almost instantaneously. Not only is her writing addictive, impossible to put down, and a true page-turner, but her characters truly come alive, making this book one to read...again, and again, and again.

From the moment they collide in the hallway, rushing on their way to classes, there is a spark between Ethan and Stephanie. With her black eye make-up and goth gear, Ethan is surprised he is even remotely attracted to her and the same can be said for Stephanie as she studies Ethan's jock good-looks and rich-boy attire. As luck would have it, the two are paired up for a summer film project and their plans of avoiding each other are thrown out the window. Instead, Ethan comes up with the brilliant idea of transforming Stephanie and introducing her to his parents as his new girlfriend. For Stephanie, the only plus side is that they will be filming the facade as their summer film, but soon, the lines between what's real and what's pretend begin to fade. As Stephanie and Ethan begin to spend more and more time together - as they begin to fall for each other - Stephanie can't decide if who Ethan likes is the real her...or the girl she's pretending to be for his parents.

Admittedly, Isn't She Lovely doesn't really take place in college. Thus, much of the coveted college experience I look for in New Adult novels is conveniently absent, as are any friends that Stephanie and Ethan may have. Instead, much of the novel simply revolves around the two of them, but considering the baggage they bring to the table, this works just fine. Yet, what I appreciate is that Layne never makes this novel about how Stephanie and Ethan "heal" each other. Stephanie, with her deceased mother and re-married father desperately wants to stay away from home while Ethan, after finding out that his mother slept with another man, wants the same. Nevertheless, the growth that these two go through - the acceptance they find to face their problems - all comes from within. Of course, their impact on each other is significant, but the ultimate decisions they make are without the influence of the other.

Isn't She Lovely really isn't a heavy read, for this reason. In fact, the bulk of this novel revolves around the budding attraction between Stephanie and Ethan, from their cold stares to their witty banter and ultimate friendship. Moreover, with a "Pretty Woman"-esque backdrop, the plot of this novel is only spiced up. I've found that I'm not a fan of the opposites-attract romance angle, merely because it seems so implausible the deeper you dig into it. Granted, they attract each other, but can they sustain a relationship? As Ethan and Stephanie grow closer and closer, Stephanie cannot help but ponder this question herself. After all, how much of Ethan's attraction to her is because of her now-normal appearance? With her standard goth get-up, would he still want her? And even if he did, what about the rest of his family? Is there a place for her in his rich lifestyle?

While Ethan is extraordinarily rich, Stephanie is rather upper middle-class herself, but the wealth gap between them is still noted - as are their opposite personalities. Layne, thankfully, makes very convincing arguments and ends this novel with an ending I can be satisfied with - one that acknowledges the realistic hurdles this couple faces. And, believe me, there is no way you aren't rooting for these two. Ethan, despite having been born with a silver spoon, is respectful and supportive of Stephanie. While she hides her secrets, he never takes advantage of her - emotionally or physically - which I appreciate and the slow pace at which their relationship moves is a refreshing, and frankly more honest, portrayal than those normally seen in New Adult. (Once Stephanie's "secret" is uncovered, this makes a lot more sense and only emphasizes how genuinely sweet and caring Ethan is.)

Now, I will admit that this novel doesn't break new ground in this genre. It doesn't tackle the difficulties of college, the tenuous relationships formed with friends, or even the looming future of career choices very effectively. Nevertheless, unlike the other novels in its genre, it is drama-free, with three-dimensional characters, and manages to explore the idea of family very well. And, more than that, it is a wonderful love story, full of entertaining dialogue and a relationship formed on the basis of equality. If you're looking for a light read to curl up with for an hour or two - or just another jock to swoon over - look no farther than Isn't She Lovely. You won't be disappointed.

13 comments:

  1. I don't think I've actually heard of this one before, but you have me completely convinced about it now - and it probably isn't something I'd normally be instantly drawn to! I do like opposites attract romances though, even though I do agree that they're not always completely realistic, so I can see myself enjoying this one. Plus.. drama-fee is the magic word for me. I'm glad you enjoyed (and reviewed!) this one, Keertana. Thanks for putting it on my radar. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a problem, Sam! Rachel @ The Reader's Den actually reviewed this one a few weeks back and I rushed to request it on NG because it sounded so good. I think it might still be up there, along with Layne's debut, an adult contemporary romance that I also really enjoyed. I have a feeling you'll really like both of these! :)

      Delete
  2. Yay! I'm so excited you enjoyed this, Keertana! I love Lauren Layne's style of writing! She really has a flair for romance, and I plan on picking up whatever else she plans on writing. I think we get a story about Olivia, Ethans's girlfriend. I guess that news is still on the down low, though. Brilliant review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd LOVE an Olivia story! I thought she was so sensible and sweet in the book, despite her role, but the plot line surrounding her would probably be really interesting. I'm definitely looking forward to that one now - thanks for letting me know about it, Rachel!(:

      Delete
  3. Okay, you're convincing me that it might be time to cautiously venture back into the world of NA :) Besides Holier Than Thou and Come See About Me, I really haven't had much success with NAs. But this actually sounds like something I would enjoy, so thanks for putting it on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not read much NA at all but I love characters that are complete opposites/enemies and see them grow closer together. Adding to the TBR!

    Lovely review, Keertana! <33

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always looking for books like this, to pull out when I need a story that will make me swoon and smile. But when you say it's drama free, has 3D characters and deals with family issues, I'm definitely sold. Stories like this are always fun, and I'm glad the author directly explores the question of whether their attraction can hold up over time. Can't wait to meet Stephanie and Ethan and root for them for them too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been running away from these NA books for a while. I got tired from same old stories, so when you say that this one is different it goes under my radar right away. I love the sound of the writing and good writing can always win me over. I'll have to read this book. Amazing review Keertana.
    PS. I'll be singing Stevie Wonder's song all day now :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always been wary of the NA genre, as I really struggle to find books which stand out for me, so I'm glad to see that you were able to find a decent read in Isn't She Lovely. Books which are drama free are always a bonus for me! Lovely review Keertana! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is new to me but you have me interested due to the fact that it is a little different from most NA available right now. I like that it's not too heavy and they neither of them are trying to fix the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^ Exactly. Sara Manning's Unsticky is an adult version of a similar plot line - and is MUCH better - but as far as New Adult goes, this one really worked for me precisely because the growth was individual and not dependent on the love interest. It still surprises me that that trope is so wildly popular. -.-

      Delete
  9. Keertana, your reviews never fail to amaze me. I always want to read whatever you review! Teach me your reviewing-awesome ways.:D

    I honestly wouldn't have given this book a second glance because that cover is horrid, but it sounds so interesting and I could use some good NA in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was planning to read this book because it was a Pygmalion retelling and I have a serious weakness for those. However now I see that the female MC is named Stephanie, which instantly catapults this to the top of my to-read list because I cannot resist books with my name. I hope I click with her!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers and I read, reply, and appreciate every one of the comments I receive!(: If you're a fellow blogger, please leave a link to your blog - I'd love to drop by!

Unfortunately, this is now an award-free blog. I simply do not have the time to respond and forward on the award, but I truly appreciate the nomination regardless.