Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Review: Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers


Title: Some Girls Are 

Author: Courtney Summers

Rating: 4 Stars

Courtney Summers is the type of author who makes her novels feel physically real. For me, reading a book by her is more than just feeling the book, the crisp pages beneath my fingers or the soft paperback in my palms; it's about that slow pressure that builds in my head, pounding in tension, and that ulcer-like knot in my stomach, stealing the breath out from me. It isn't a pleasant feeling, but I almost crave it, for the moment I crack open the spine of one of these books, I can't put the book down. I just can't. It's psychologically frightening, but so are these books. And I love them for that.

Some Girls Are follows the story of Regina, a former mean girl. Seriously, Regina is that girl who stood there and watched you get bullied. She's the one who made you feel inferior, whose voice would linger in your mind as doubts, whose face inspired fear. Granted, she's not the ring leader - that's Anna - but as the puppy dog, she's even worse. Our story begins, however, with a rape. Regina's rape. By Anna's boyfriend. And then a broken confession of this torn night to an enemy. An enemy who tells Regina to go home, to act as if nothing happened, but when Regina walks into school on Monday, the word is out: Regina slept with Anna's boyfriend. And Anna is out for revenge because, as a mean girl, revenge is what she does best.

If you're not a fan of books that make you squirm with discomfort or force your fist to your mouth so you won't scream of horror, pain, and disbelief, then don't pick this one up. Summers always writes novels that explore the darker side of humanity, but this is probably the toughest to get through. Regina deserves to be ostracized, to be taken down, to be laughed at, but she didn't deserve to get raped. It is here that we enter into a realm of gray area because, honestly, the only action that justifies that Regina isn't wholly bad is the fact that she is a victim of rape. If you're waiting for a hidden side to Regina, you'll only keep waiting. Sure, she didn't want to terrorize others and follow Anna's orders, but the very fact that she did makes her bad enough. And yet, as is always the classic case with any Summers novel, she makes us like, feel, and sympathize with her unconvential heroines. I wasn't entirely sold on the path Summers took with this, but by the end, it all came together perfectly with an ambiguous ending that was just the right amount of relief, punch, and puzzlement.

And yet, that isn't to say this novel is perfect. I felt there was a sincere lack of parent interaction, not to mention the teachers in this school turn a convenient blind eye to everything. Honestly, the full impact of this book can only be felt with a solid suspension of belief. And, in some ways, I am willing to concede this point. Some Girls Are explores the twisted nature of the human mind, not so much in Regina's past, but rather in her present inability to let go and mount revenge instead. I love this book for all the ambiguity present in it, from Regina to Michael, her only friend. With the two of them, there is an unlikely friendship - unlikely because Regina made his life hell too; forced him to become a loner and ostracized him. And despite the strangeness of their relationship, the almost unhealthy quality to it, it was one of my favorite aspects of the story merely because it was so nuanced, so raw, so real and gutting. As is everything in this book. Every line, every sentence...it's all aimed to dig that knife deeper into your heart. It seems like I'm exaggerating, but that left over feeling of numbness and disbelief and rage and relief and heartache that comes with the end of this novel speaks for itself.

Some Girls Are is a novel I would not hesitate to recommend, but only because I'm a masochist. I love the shocking feeling Summers's novels give me. I love being terrified to open the covers; I love that feeling when I can feel my sanity ebbing away as I become more and more immersed in the lives of these oh-so-real characters; I love the numbness every time I force myself not to set the book down, not to scream, not to shout; and most of all, I love that at the end, I am so, so blown away. And an emotional wreck, but that's irrelevant compared to the sheer scope of the novel itself. If you're looking for anything like that, for a book that can make you feel - make you live - that much, then look no farther than Courtney Summers. You simply cannot go wrong with her.

18 comments:

  1. This sounds like a very intense read Keertana. I was all set to really dislike Regina, and then you drop the bomb that she gets raped by a supposed friend's boyfriend, and suddenly I wanted more time to get to know her. My reaction is interesting to me, because it's not as though being victimized in such a way absolves her of all the wrong she's done, but yet I'm ready to give her a second chance where I wouldn't have been prior to her rape. Fascinating stuff:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written Keertana! Like you, I found some aspects of this book a little hard to believe, like the absence of parents and teachers. I didn't like Regina as much as you unfortunately. While I did sympathize with her plight, I found it hard to connect with her when I heard about how she bullied others and to what extent. But I loved Michael! I'm glad that you enjoyed this book and I have to agree that Summers knows how to write intense, jaw dropping books. Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful review Keertana. This books sounds a bit like Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver. I'm not sure if you read that book, but did it remind you of it by any chance? In that book Sam wasn't the most likable character, but it made you quite aware of bullying and the consequences.

    This book sounds like a must read. I'm probably going to pick this book. I have to check if our library has it :).

    Cheers,
    Savindi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keertana, this is such a stunning review, and I couldn't agree more. This is one of the first reviews I read and reviewed for my blog, and I was blown away by Courtney's amazing writing style and her ability to capture base human emotions - especially those of teenagers. It was cringe-worthy, to be sure, and I wanted to hate these girls, but there was a part of me that empathized with them as well. It was THAT good. Fantastic thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely have plans to go through Summers' published books. I loved This is Not a Test and recently enjoyed Cracked Up to Be. If you consider really enjoying Summers' books and being unable to stop reading them a sign of masochism, then I sure as heck am also masochistic. She has made issue books interesting for me, especially with her incredibly unconventional protagonists. I'm glad you were able to enjoy this one so much, Keertana!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You just nicely explained why I love her novels. You're completely right. You can feel every emotion in her books. I remember reading This is not A Test and it almost was physical! Great review Keertana! I can't wait to read this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a thing for books which leave you and emotional wreck too and if your heart has been thoroughly stomped on. I always said to myself that I would read more of Summers books after loving This is not a Test and I think it's about time that I did so. Some Girls Are sounds so raw and realistic, that I have a feeling it will bring out similar reactions from me that you had. Beautiful review Keertana! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. As much as I'd like to be, I don't think I'm ready for Summers just yet. Because, really, I'm NOT a fan of books that cause me discomfort. Sadness, sure, but I know exactly the feeling you described and I generally try to avoid it at all costs. If You Find Me was horrible/amazing enough for me, thank you very much.
    But I love that you loved it, and maybe some day, when I grow up...

    And on a side note, you're reading Bronze GOOOOOOODS! *runs around flailing*

    ReplyDelete
  9. While I do appreciate Summer's talent, I think I've decided that maybe her books aren't for me. I haven't read this one, but I have read a couple of her other books. I can see how others are drawn to them, but for the most part, I like to read books that make me happy, not uncomfortable. Great review! It's beautifully written.
    -Natalie @Natflix&Books

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have yet to read a book by Courtney Summers and don't really know why I haven't so far. Her books sound really good and I don't mind books about tough subjects, when dealt with in a sensible and understanding way. Thanks for your review!:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's been oh, probably three years since I read this book, but it made a Courtney Summers fan out of me. It's a short book, but packed with so much depth and emotion that I haven't forgotten it. Fantastic review, I actually loved your criticisms, because I was too enamored with it when I read it to see any bad. Definitely one I'm going to have to pick up again sometime soon. Thanks for the review!

    Taylor @ Reading is the Thing

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've read two of her books and they are so intense! I totally get what you mean about squirming in discomfort. She certainly doesn't shy away from tough subjects. I'm glad you liked this overall!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't like reads that make my heart feel as if it's been stomped on. I have to steal myself for a read like that before I pick it up. This plot sounds exactly like Just Listen by Sarah Dessen. The protag doesn't sound as unlikeable as this one though. Wonderful review Keertana! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, THIS BOOK! It absolutely destroyed me and I could not stop thinking about it for days afterward. So powerful. I don't think it's perfect, but I think it's pretty amazing anyway. Courtney Summer just astounds me with her writing, she's incredibly talented and one of my favourite authors now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I actually began this book but stopped for a while. Like you said, it's not the easiest book to read and my emotions were every where. She didn't deserve to be raped (no one does) but she did stand by while people were bullied. As a person who was bullied I couldn't figure out how I wanted to see Regina. One day I'll finish this book. Amazing review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm beginning to think there's something wrong with me, because nearly everyone I know raves about this author, but I have to admit I had only middling feelings about This is Not a Test (but it's a zombie book, so that's trickier) and I didn't really care much for Fall for Anything, either. But but but the ratings are so high! Hmmm.

    I may still try at least one more contemporary, maybe it'll end up working for me. Thanks for your review, this one certainly sounds like a powerful read.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree that the lack of adult presence in this book was an issue—it was actually a huge problem for me, and the reason this is my least favorite Summers novel. I felt that the plot relied too much on the ignorance and inaction of certain characters, which made it less powerful in the long run. However, it was still a really excellently written book, and I’ve always been impressed with this author’s power with words. So glad you were able to read this one and that you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It takes a lot of convincing before I decide I want to pick up a book like this. I'm very much a self-centred reader, so if you ask me to pick between something that is challenging and something that makes me laugh, I will nearly always pick the latter. Having said that though, I do adore Courtney Summers' writing, and I HAVE been meaning to try this one for a while. Maybe eventually I will work up the courage to get around to it... Thanks for the fab review!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers and I read, reply, and appreciate every one of the comments I receive!(: If you're a fellow blogger, please leave a link to your blog - I'd love to drop by!

Unfortunately, this is now an award-free blog. I simply do not have the time to respond and forward on the award, but I truly appreciate the nomination regardless.